• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Magic Using Assassin (Fishin' for ideas)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Hey, Hellhound!

Seems my wife has the pdf (I believe you've met the Lady Danyon); Also, you extracted your assassin and posted it as a ZIP for download in the link UV provided (for anyone interested in a sneak peak!), so I've got both available to me now.

:D

Anything in the print version that's not in the pdf?

Anyhow, to get back to my own flippin' topic, I've found the commentary and suggestions useful (lot's of comments in the above link as well). I'll post again when I've got an idea of what I'm going to do, although I'll still respond/consider future commentary posted here.

Thanks all!

Chun-tzu

First Post
Re: another question on this topic

Corlon said:
Do assasins really HAVE to be evil. Assasins have some pretty neat abilities and generally they are evil, but what if they used these unique abilities to assasinate evil tyrants and the like, and also to defend the weak from the shadows?

He doesn't want publicity, just for people to be safe.
Doing this from the shadows keeps him from being killed, and also keeps away publicity.

I would say it's a very grey area, but yes, assassins must be evil. I agree that their function may be indistinguishable from a commando or other special forces soldier, but the emphasis is on the cold-blooded extinction of another person as a matter of practicality, not as an absolute last resort or in the heat of battle.

I also think the alignment system is too black-and-white, and not complex enough to capture motivations well except in the broadest sense.

uv23

First Post
Let us know what you come up with. I've completed my variant paladin, ranger, sorcerer and various prestige classes but haven't gotten around to finalizing my assassin variant yet. Shouldn't be too hard though.

In regards to alignment, I have always seen assassins as either LN or LE (though NE works as well for mercenary types). All you have to do is add a little politics to your campaign to exstinguish the misconception that assassins must be "evil."

Remove ads