Non-Magic Using Assassin (Fishin' for ideas)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I'm looking to make an Assassin-guild like organization for one of the major cities in my campaign. As it's a low magic setting, I'm wanting them to be a non-magic using class, meaning that the DMG Assassin and Green Ronin's Assassin Class isn't suitable for these folks.

Anyone got any ideas on what kind of features such a Prestige Class might offer (aside from Sneak Attack, Death Strike, etc.)?

Crothian

First Post
I needed this exact thing and I wish I still had the class i came up with.

What I did was take the Assassin prestige class and the Ninja of the Cresent Moon prestige class, I througfh out all the magical crap and what was left was a very good mundane assassin. I then balanced it with HD, skills, skill points, BAB and saves. If you wnat I should be able to reconstruct it. Ity was just a blending of two classes, not that difficult.

uv23

First Post
I asked this exact question a while ago and it generated a pretty good thread. However, I only have the link in my mailbox at home so when I get home from work I'll post it for you. Cheers.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Crothian: That's a thought, although I'm hoping for OGC Compliant (posting in a netbook and all...). Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll take a look, even if just for inspiration.

UV: Would be most appeciated. Thanks!

how about do it how OA handles rangers from all but two clans. Instead of gaining spells they gain bonus feats. The feats are gained any time a new spell level would be gained (so at assassin's would gain them at lvl 2, 4, 6, and 8)
True that seems like a lot of bonus feats, but you can make it a very restricted list so its not so bad. Or you could only give them bonus feats at 3, 6, and 9 to make it look better

My Suggested list: Alertness, Blind Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Far Shot, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quickdraw, Skill focus (hide), Skill focus (Move silently), and Track

Corlon

First Post
another question on this topic

Do assasins really HAVE to be evil. Assasins have some pretty neat abilities and generally they are evil, but what if they used these unique abilities to assasinate evil tyrants and the like, and also to defend the weak from the shadows?

He doesn't want publicity, just for people to be safe.
Doing this from the shadows keeps him from being killed, and also keeps away publicity.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
In a previous thread about this, I posted a copy of the Practical One, a non-magical assassin class from Librum Equitis volume 1. It was very well received at the time.

Since then, Librum Equitis volume 1 has gone to print, via the hoopy froods at Mystic Eye Games. I'd recommend it.

(pimping my product mode off)

This is a magic-light assassin prestige class I use in my game. Taranesti Elves are basically dark Elves, only not subterranean. They're still fairly loathed, but they live in much the same places as light Elves, and they want to seize power. But not all are evil. It's more like the USSR (light Elves) vs. the USA (dark Elves).

http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/General_Rules/GenjaKesh.html

It might be a little too high-fantasy for you, though, since the whole premise is that old adage. If you have a little poison every day, eventually you'll get used to it. These guys train by poisoning themselves, until eventually their own bloodstream can produce poisons. They can bite the inside of their mouth, spit on their blade, and have it be poisoned.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Avatar: That's a fair list. I'll keep it under consideration.

Corlon: Essentially, over all, no, an assassin does not have to be Evil. However, most exceptions would be related to a government (e.g., James Bond) or a religion cause (e.g., Holy Slayers from Al'Qadim). In relation to a guild of assassins (and thus an Assassin-styled Prestige Class), Evil is probably the case 99% of the time (e.g., The Deceivers from The Black Company, Greyhawk Assassins, etc.).

Plane Sailing: There's some suitable features in there. Thanks for the link.

HellHound: I think I can dig up a copy... I've managed to dig up about 10 gaming stores in my area (having recently moved far, far, far from home), so I'll start checking.

Ranger Wicket: Actually, that's far more workable of a concept than you think, even in low magic.;)

Remove ads