D&D General Non-standard Miniatures

Warforged DK

Explorer
I've totally reused my kids toys for larger monsters. He had a crap ton of Skylanders figures that worked well for giants of all sorts.

We also had this Parallax toy from the Green Lantern movie that I used as an end game big bad boss. The chest claw thing could easily grab a normal "large" sized mini, maybe a Huge mini.
1622687774163.png

I also used this guy as a "friendly" tarrasque but actually a meanie. for a 20th's level one-shot.
He's probably 12" tall. a normal medium sized mini would be about half the height of his club.
1622687860975.png

I also repurposed Moana's Te Kaa as an elemental queen
1622688064725.png

Base is maybe 4-5" across, so it's huge, but not as unwieldy as the other two.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Things I've find interesting as minis
  • Playmobil.- bigger than normal, but not by much, still way cheaper than Legos.
  • Pokemon toys.- These are actually kind of the right size for miniatures.
  • Dinosaurs and animal figures.
  • Plasticine / foamy clay figures.
  • Magic/Yu-gi-oh cards. And of course, I'm planing to turn all of my fifth copies of AFR into tokens.
  • Plushies!

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have about six or eight sahuagin - but am planning an adventure with an assault on a sahuagin fortress that will have so many that 6 to 8 won't cut it - short of just buying more sahuagin or using dice - anyone have a recommendation for cheap stand-ins for the footsoldier types so I can save the actual minis for lieutenants and other special combatants?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I have about six or eight sahuagin - but am planning an adventure with an assault on a sahuagin fortress that will have so many that 6 to 8 won't cut it - short of just buying more sahuagin or using dice - anyone have a recommendation for cheap stand-ins for the footsoldier types so I can save the actual minis for lieutenants and other special combatants?

1622739626538.png

No joke, 100 soldiers for $15.

aco175

Legend
What is that ad for buying minis featuring the PCs on a grid fighting a 'dragon' that is canned ham. The next page showed the same PCs fighting a large dragon mini. I think it was early 2000's

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
What is that ad for buying minis featuring the PCs on a grid fighting a 'dragon' that is canned ham. The next page showed the same PCs fighting a large dragon mini. I think it was early 2000's

I forgot about that ad! I think it was in Dragon mag - but I'd need to go through my collection to find it.

Voadam

Legend

Paper counters are quick and cheap to make lots of.

A one inch square image repeated on a word document then printed and cut out lays flat leaving the PCs and big bad guys standing taller visually.

A fold over style one brings them in visual size of the miniatures, but takes a little more effort to individually fold and tape the base so they stand up.

Remove ads