• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

None So Vile: Disciples of Darkness I – The Ravenous of Agramogg

The Thayan Menace

First Post
None So Vile: Disciples of Darkness I – The Ravenous of Agramogg

The Ravenous of Agramogg

Written and Created by Aeryn “Blackdirge” Rudel
Graphic Design & Illustration by Eric Nowak
d20 PDF (13 pages); $3.75
Spawned by SkeletonKey Games & Blackdirge Publishing

No Escape

This work is intended for mature DMs (and players). It portrays physical disfigurement, blasphemy, nihilism, and the consumption of sentient life.

Burn, Heretic!

For the record, I playtested this product.

First Blood

The Ravenous of Agramogg is the first installment of None So Vile: Disciples of Darkness, a series of (evil) divine prestige classes that are fully compatible with 3.5 D&D rules.

This specific PDF focuses on cultists who worship a deity of cannibalism and unwholesome compulsion. It includes a ten-level clerical prestige class, a sample NPC priest (Isked Doomtongue), and a write-up on a new loathsome demigod.

Flesh & Bone

Blackdirge’s skill as a game designer is amply demonstrated in this supplement; his cannibal deathpriest (the “Ravenous”) is cleverly structured and well-balanced.

The fearsome physical abilities of the Ravenous are offset by their staggered spell acquisition, vastly reduced mobility, and social unacceptability. Still, it is hard not to marvel at an NPC class that has the potential to consume anything ... or anyone.

“Behold the Beast that Devours ….”

Silence of the Drow

To put it bluntly, this d20 portrayal of clerical cannibalism makes Hannibal Lecter look like Emeril Lagasse.

In fact, reading the introduction of this work is very similar to witnessing a ghastly car accident. There may be times you do not want to look, but you’re somehow compelled to keep staring in horrid fascination.

After all, who isn’t curious about the sounds a drow ambassador makes while being devoured by a gluttonous duergar priest?

For those of you who are unsatisfied with literary details, however well written, don’t worry … there are also illustrations.

Ghoulish Aesthetics

I am especially entranced with the graphic design of this PDF supplement. Artist Eric Nowak is truly a twisted genius with a flair for horrific detail.

A gaping maw on the blood-spattered cover page immediately grabs the attention of the reader and denotes the disquieting subject matter within. The simulated leather “binding” (with the same color as decayed blood) gives one the impression that they are examining a volume of blasphemous lore and not a mere RPG pamphlet.

The interior artwork is also genuinely disturbing. Nowak’s ability to portray grotesque obesity and half-eaten humanoid thighs is not to be underestimated. Indeed, his “banquet” illustration on page 4 is nothing short of a vile masterpiece.

Although the layout is original, it evokes memories of my favorite 2E Ravenloft supplements and the old 1E Fiend Folio (esp. the stat blocks). This combination of novelty and gothic nostalgia helps create an excellent dark roleplaying “vibe”.

Put That in Your Femur and Smoke It!

In summary, I am grateful to have played a small role in promoting this work and I look forward to assisting Blackdirge with future volumes. It is my sincere prediction (and hope) that the None So Vile line will evolve into a project of greater scope.

Move over Book of Erotic Fantasy, this is the new RPG controversy.

Enjoy the screams ….

-Samir Asad

Remove ads