Nordlond Bestiary GURPS 3rd party Kickstarter

Douglas Cole

Explorer
Doug, do you plan on having a chapter in the book listing new creature-specific advantages, disadvantages, and/or a discussion of the mechanics of creature specific attack types (e.g. how to run creatures that pounce or creatures that swallow their victims)?
Yah. Swallow Whole will be reproduced from Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, as an example. Some of the "monster tactics" stuff is a good idea in general, though I need to be somewhat careful about reproducing too much of the text. Not necessarily because of licensing/copyright (my license covers that easily), but folks get miffed if too much page count can be had elsewhere, while others get miffed if they have to page-hop.

If we unlock stretch goals (dang it, I really thought this would have funded by now, and easily) then this becomes much less of an issue: I'll have the page count to support it all.

Douglas Cole

Explorer
"Where's the Bestiary, [CENSORED]" is one of the more common notes I've seen since about 2004. I was over the moon when I got permission to do one, and a bit sad when my last few campaigns made me think I just didn't have the following to do a BIG one.

I decided to go for it, though ... and I was hoping I'd at least draw the (roughly) 1,000 folks that came in on the SJGames Monsters 2 book, since mine will be at least 2.5x longer.

This game is far from over ... but we'll need a LOT of folks who are on the fence (nearly 400 following but not yet pledged on Kickstarter) or simply unaware (such as the nearly 3,000 people who just signed up to the Girl Genius Kickstarter, over 250 of whom got a pledge containing the Basic Set...those fine folks are just getting into GURPS and Powered by GURPS!).

And if you haven't yet seen the collected examples: go to this thread on reddit:
Monster of the Day posts from Nordlond Bestiary: Collected

Douglas Cole

Explorer
FUNDED!

OK...what a big day was yesterday.

Over $3,000 raised in a single day, making it the second-largest day of the campaign. Even bigger than the second day, which is traditionally carried over from launch day.

So now it's about stretch goals. There are still 400 people who have followed but not yet backed this campaign. There are thousands who just became aware of it thanks to this update on the Girl Genius RPG page, courtesy of SJGames.

So don't be too shocked if folks pile on, and for those of you saying nice things in various places and encouraging folks to jump on: keep it up, it's working.

DarbyMcD

Villager
It is great! and I really hope that folks that like GURPS, and would like to see more of this kind of support from all kinds of sources, would step up to make it known in the traditional American way, with your dollars. Even if you don't particularly want this specific book, supporting the KS shows SJG that there is support for this kind of book. Let's be very honest, I don't think anyone is particularly impressed with the company's... modernization efforts lets say. But people and companies respond to incentives, so showing them that money is out there if they do things like Bestiaries or more VTT support, will probably gain some traction.
Take one for the team and also get a great book!

Remove ads