North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
[MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION] - Thanks for the explanation. I think that's a great example of a subjectively inadequate response. I also think you are mis-interpreting some of his statements, but that is a subjective interpretation of his response on my part, too.

I'm perfectly aware of the subjectivity of mine and everyone else's positions, as well as where things are actually fairly objective. Yes, it's possible that he actually means something different than what he's actually communicating, and that my inclination might be to think more the worst rather than the best. I would like to think that, by any objective standards of those within the community and industry who actually care about and and take harassment seriously, his response would be considered largely inadequate. I would hope that would be a given. Perhaps I hold the community to too high a standard.

In any case, my "objectively wrong" comment was meant more to echo [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]'s use of the same term, which was perhaps not the best tactic for me to employ.

neobolts

Explorer
So have these two been convicted of anything? ANYONE...? -rrrrrrrrriiiiight.

You are correct. No one has been convicted or even charged in either case.

Of note, one of the two harassment incidents objectively occurred in some form. The fact that there was misconduct was established by both sides. There was a mea culpa by the accused that he does "deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting." The person who was harassed considers the matter settled and has asked for privacy.

I honestly am unclear on the details of other complaint, which were brought to light as the accused launched an Kickstarter campaign. I'm not sure what, if anything, was verifiable. If anyone wants to better explain the basics to me, I'm interested.

Faraer

Explorer
4) Those gamers who might be more vulnerable for harassment do not see this con, as many other cons have done, make a clear statement regarding their inclusivity or protection from harassment, and there is a strong possibility that many of them, as a result, may feel less safe.
And obviously, all things being equal, they will be less safe from sexual harassment or assault in an environment whose organizers don't seem to take it seriously and seem perplexed that people would want them to take preventative steps against it.

Perhaps poor wording on my part, maybe not so much "we are all in agreement" as there is "a commonly accepted definition of term and behaviors it describes". Just because not everybody has signed on or figured out the program yet doesn't mean that the definition isn't plainly clear. The debate boils down to really three things: the actual, very clear definition of harassment, things that are quite clearly harassment but that some people wish weren't considered so, and hyperbolic hypothetical scenarios blown way out of proportion to justify concern trolling over zero-tolerance harassment policies (for an example, see below).

1) People with a history of harassment are invited guests to the con.
2) Convention has refused to institute a clear zero-harassment policy, it's co-host instead saying "I have a gun and will intervene in any harassment I personally witness." 500 people is a small con, but that's more than one dude can handle.
3) We have no clue what this individual considers harassment, and there is apparently still debate on this even though the definition should be, for all intents and purposes, clear and understandable. How seriously does he treat the issue? Is making a harassment complaint to him about another con-goer itself an example of "non-gaming discussion"?
4) Those gamers who might be more vulnerable for harassment do not see this con, as many other cons have done, make a clear statement regarding their inclusivity or protection from harassment, and there is a strong possibility that many of them, as a result, may feel less safe.

I mean, you can sum up the main points of an article that ignores the connective tissue. It may very well have been that said connective tissue might have been assumed as a given and not clearly spelled out, I'd have to re-read the article to see for certain. But these are not illogical or "objectively false" leaps. If you actually gave a :):):):) about harassment or inclusivity in gaming conventions these would actually be probably obvious.

Remember that bit above about hyperbolic hypothetical scenarios and concern trolling? This is a prime example of this. Yeah, everyone in reality actually understands the difference between accidentally bumping into somebody and groping someone without their consent. Nobody is going to use these policies to get someone thrown out for accidentally backing into somebody, or brushing elbows in passing. I'd ask you to engage in a little less intellectual dishonesty next time.

You should just be honest and say that nothing this guy says or does will be enough until he bans from the con the two people you do not want there.

Which does lead me to the question? Are you going to the convention? Or have you just decided to make it your personal mission to drive these two individuals out of the gaming world? Not asking with any malice, I know neither person, I know no details or facts about their actions, and I do not care one way or another if they are or are not involved in DnD going forward.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I honestly am unclear on the details of other complaint, which were brought to light as the accused launched an Kickstarter campaign. I'm not sure what, if anything, was verifiable. If anyone wants to better explain the basics to me, I'm interested.

The tl:dr version is that Metzer allegedly victim-blamed in a forum (or forums) where there were victims of harassment (and worse). (I say "allegedly" because I did not personally read his posts in question, but some were very upset and he was banned from at least one such forum.) He also sent flirtatious messages to an individual which some considered "creepy" and allegedly implied that he could have the ability to blacklist someone in the industry (IIRC).

Last edited by a moderator:

And obviously, all things being equal, they will be less safe from sexual harassment or assault in an environment whose organizers don't seem to take it seriously and seem perplexed that people would want them to take preventative steps against it.
Because putting a harassment policy on paper will make them more safe, obviously? I must be dense, cause I really fail to see how.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hey, you asked, so I provided some possible reasons. Like I said, I don't particularly care.

But one thing to consider - people like you or me (male, and on the large side) are very unlikely to be harassed. So we have the luxury of not needing to care. His con policies are perfect for people like us, we are unlikely to be targeted and even if we are, we can usually take care of ourselves. (Or go cry in the shower and never tell anyone. Whichever works.)

Now try to imagine if you are female and on the small side. Do you think some guy you've never met saying "don't worry, I've got it handled - I have a gun" is reassuring? :uhoh:

Does NTRPGCon have a history of female gamers being harassed? I don't really know if it would be reassuring, all women are not the same and react differently. I'd say that his statement that you will be booted if you are harassing people is pretty zero tolerance but if some want him to say that he will boot anyone who is accused of harassment they are going to be disappointed.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)

An excellent point.

You should just be honest and say that nothing this guy says or does will be enough until he bans from the con the two people you do not want there.

Which does lead me to the question? Are you going to the convention? Or have you just decided to make it your personal mission to drive these two individuals out of the gaming world? Not asking with any malice, I know neither person, I know no details or facts about their actions, and I do not care one way or another if they are or are not involved in DnD going forward.

Honestly? No, I would not personally attend a con with either Mentzner or Webb as invited guests. At least not until one or the other made honest attempts to atone for past behavior and make sincere efforts to correct their behavior in the future. I do not believe people are incapable of change, only that these two individuals have so far seemed unwilling to. I'm more than happy to join my voice to those of others seeking to demand such a change.

I happen to believe that it's a good thing that our hobby is become more inclusive and diverse. A great thing. A necessary thing, even, particularly if we want to continue to grow and remain relevant in the broader popular culture. People who stand in the way of that goal, such as those who, for instance, make women feel unsafe or unwelcome by harassing or stalking them, are thus unequivocally bad for the hobby, and their actions should be responded to with either demands for immediate change or banishment until such time as sincere change and contrition have been proven.

It is certain that the same people taking the same sides do appear in threads like this.

I can use empathy and deduction on this.

People most at risk of harassment are going to be the most concerned and probably have experienced it in the past. So they will, understandably, take this subject seriously. Unfortunately, some, also understandably, are emotional about the issue to the point where it clouds their judgment and often makes them counter-productive in the stance they take.

Since I had my own personal revelation about sexual harassment from an earlier job where I worked with the HR team that investigated such claims (I was in charge of investigating financial fraud), I had my “a-ha” moment where I realized it happens more than good people assume and believing and acting on victim’s claims are important.

As I stated earlier, no written policy on harassment is not a good decision for a Con that reaches the size where you do not personally know everyone. There are enough generic examples that can be used that coming up with a policy is trivial.

I think that a written policy is relatively worthless if not enforced and acted on. In this case, everything I have heard about the Con in question has said that it is well run with few issues in the past and those were dealt with. You always have to depend on the Con organizers and staff to enforce a policy and a policy does not make up you. You and the community are what can increase safety, a policy is maybe one brick in the foundation. Recognition and action is the important thing.

Attacking the Con and the organizer and debating on the interest seems to be pointless. If you have an example policy, send it to them with a polite email. If you do not like invited guests, a polite email explaining why and either not going or not attending their panels or events is a better response than posturing in an Internet forum.

I do understand that this is a difficult topic for victims of harassment and their concerns about future safety are valid, and we need to each do our reasoned part to provide the environment where we all can have fun gaming.

Hussar

Legend
It’s good to know that if I get really drunk , harass some woman and assault someone, there will be ghose who will totally support me when I go back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads