Not DnD -- Monster of the Week from Evil Hat Productions

Most people don’t believe in monsters, but you know the truth. They’re real, and it’s your task to bring them down. Monster of the Week is an action-horror RPG for 3-5 people. Grab the fireplace poker and get your spell book. That monster’s going down! NOT DND is our weekly streamed show where Jessica Hancock interviews tabletop RPG creators about their games -- focusing on those which...

Most people don’t believe in monsters, but you know the truth. They’re real, and it’s your task to bring them down. Monster of the Week is an action-horror RPG for 3-5 people. Grab the fireplace poker and get your spell book. That monster’s going down!

NOT DND is our weekly streamed show where Jessica Hancock interviews tabletop RPG creators about their games -- focusing on those which are not D&D! You can catch it every week at 10-pm on our Twitch channel, catch up on past episodes on YouTube, or listen to it as a weekly podcast wherever you get your pods! Past episodes include Dune, Star Trek Adventures, WFRP, Blade Runner,and many more.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 12.14.51 PM.png

Von Ether

Legend
This is a great little game! Played in a fun campaign arc!

The only "flaw" is that some GMs interpret partial successes as a deep cost for light success result. e.g., There's only so often you gun can be kicked around the floor when you keep rolling but don't make a clear success.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As much as I once loved the world building of Hunter: The Vigil, it's hard for me to imagine saying, "yeah, I'd like to play a Storyteller game" when this exists. So much freedom to make so many types of characters and it's a finely tuned machine for these sorts of adventures.

And the progression clock for threats is a great design idea that works for D&D, too, for DMs looking for something other than site-based adventures.

Von Ether

Legend
As much as I once loved the world building of Hunter: The Vigil, it's hard for me to imagine saying, "yeah, I'd like to play a Storyteller game" when this exists. So much freedom to make so many types of characters and it's a finely tuned machine for these sorts of adventures.

And the progression clock for threats is a great design idea that works for D&D, too, for DMs looking for something other than site-based adventures.

My PC was a clockwork angel working for a BRPD organization. Ended up sacrificing myself to save the world by becoming a physical cage to imprison the endgame evil.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads