• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Not enough DMs / new edition

Ry

Explorer
Expand your horizons beyond just 5E and I bet you find a lot more chances to game.

oh yeah, I’ve played apocalypse world, fate, in a wicked age, a bunch of old Forge games, 4 different editions of D&D, some homebrew stuff. There are games that support the GM better and games to support the GM worse, but mostly games expect the GM to be rules expert, social moderator, host, have all the story, and be the creative director. Knowing that it can be different, even if it’s just using The Lazy DM to do it more procedurally, I’m surprised WotC isn’t at least trying to improve.

Discontinue the technical jargon of "Challenge Rating".
That's not technical jargon. But anyway, how about you let the dead horse lie? At least in this thread?
There needs to be a solid, reliable, way to predict difficulty.
No there doesn't. A "solid, reliable" way would require combat to be monotonous or the system so complex that it would be useless. Either you drive every character choice to be perfectly combat balanced, or you require a 10,000 variable system.
Yeah, the system is bloated and not easy to handle in a lot of ways.
But how many people complain 5E doesn't have enough crunch? Don't we have another big thread all about having ~75 features is not enough?

The key to getting more people to DM is probably to make DMing more fun. Lightening the cognitive load is one way to help that.

The one area where I really think DM fun could be improved is in combat. In 5e combat the DM is basically putting on a performance where the monsters pretend to put up a fight, since if the DM tries too hard to win then it's likely to end in a campaign ending TPK. If the game was set up to allow the PCs to lose a combat without necessarily being wiped out, combat could also be challenging and fun for the DM.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The key to getting more people to DM is probably to make DMing more fun. Lightening the cognitive load is one way to help that.
One way to do that may be not presenting the GM with a 250 page adventure they are required to learn before session 1 while also committing to for the next 18-24 months.

Ad more short adventures. Very short. 2 pages.

Normalize improv.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads