D&D General Not gonna worry, Will just keep playin (+)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I remember the days when it was understood that all you needed to play D&D was a PHB, a DMG, a MM (or MC) and some dice. Anything else is nice, but not necessary.

As matters stand, even after culling my collection of countless books and boxed sets, I still have shelves of d20 material: 3.5E, D20 Modern, Star Wars D20, various d20 variants. Plus my 1st edition Dark Eye boxed sets and BECMI. I can play face to face with friends, or via Teams/Zoom/Skype. I'm happy.
This is my point.

Well, and also any good ideas to facilitate if we lose Beyond and/or Roll20 type stuff.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Once I surveyed the wreckage and saw what was left, I would either roll with my existing books indefinitely -- I am very confident with homebrewing -- or move to a good surviving system.

It would take very little effort to nudge me back to Castles & Crusades. And now that I am back into my homebrewing swing, I'd likely release stuff under their third party license to make the game more my tastes (replaces the SIEGE Engine with a standard d20 resolution system, create a list of what pseudo-skills characters get based on their primary stats instead of just having the poor DM wing it).

Alternately, I could probably get scooped up by Shadow of the Weird Wizard.

In any case, I'm happy how much of my library is either systemless or OSR, since it's easy to convert to whatever would come next.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Once it releases! Its been a while since we've had news of it.

That's a problem I have: both my go-to non-D&D games (SotDL and F-AGE) are supposed to be offering new core rule books someday so I'm kinda waiting on them to start a new campaign.
I suspect both will be publishing this year, given current mood amongst gamers and designers.

In the meantime, lining up what you'd want to use with a new system is also fun, IMO. I could easily imagine assembling a future campaign with Magical Industrial Revolution, The Stygian Library and the City Watch for a very Terry Pratchett campaign.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I do have a lot of older stuff I could scan to make it easier to share with my group...hand't thought of that actually because last ime I checked into OCRing stuff, it was not worth the time nor the effort.
You could get a monthly subscription to Adobe Acrobat, makes OCRing a breeze also easy to save in MS Word format. Then cancel the subscription and use free readers for viewing and searching. There are free solutions for scanning to PDF and manipulating PDFs, including OCR, but the money is minimal. I could get everything scanned in under a month.

I used to use a product call Paper Port for Nuance which was excellent for scanning, organizing, and searching paper documents. Evernote is also pretty good. But I'm back to having my docs stored in ways that can be accessed by multiple tools easily. Local files, sync'd to Google Docs. I still have a lot of stuff in Evernote that I would like to export out as individual docs in based file system. Just too lazy.

Remove ads