• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

November 16th release for Web-based Character Builder

Ourph

First Post
When the system you put out is "abused" to bypass your very basic business needs/goals (and easy to pirate) it needs to be changed.
I don't understand how buying a product that WotC were offering for sale (i.e. the 1 month subscription) was "abusing" any system.

Also, if this was the main reason they wanted to change, they could have simply eliminated the 1 month subscription option and forced people to choose a longer subscription term, like 6 months or 1 year. I suspect the 1 month subscription "problem" has a lot less to do with this change than many people are giving it credit for.

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
What some refer to as "abuse" others would call making sure value is received for money spent.
QUOTE]

That's why "abuse" was in quotes. It's not a nefarious abuse, but an abuse of the practical numbers, needs and ideas of a subscription-based system on the company's behalf. They probably knew it was going to happen some, but the numbers may well have been much more than they counted on, rendering the way they presented it unsustainable within the business plan.

The great thing about the new system will be no more annoyingly slow updates and flexibility to add in new tools/features.

renau1g

First Post
Unfortunately too many people are saying reduced options as in permanently not going to be there. But I do get your point.

As for "soon", if Blizzard can get away with "when it is ready" why not WotC? After all, they have been burned in the past by giving deadlines and missing them.

I can't comment on Blizzard as I am entirely unfamiliar with their processes, I stopped playing most VG years ago. However, everything Blizzard touches is gold right? (Wow, Starcraft, Diablo) or at least was when I was into that stuff. They may have a bit more leeway than WotC with their less proven track record of online tools (e-tools/Master tools from 3e, and the initial stuff that WotC expected to have at 4e's launch, VTT, visualizer, etc.).

Well- I think to be fair "soon" in this case meant about a month, possibly two? That's really not that long in the grand scheme of things is it?

I hope it's that quick... maybe they'll soon get the MB working. I'm subbed up to next summer, so right now I've unsubscribed, but if they actually can put the tools out that people seem to think they've got coming, I'll reconsider.

Scribble

First Post
I DM exclusively. I don't need the character builder, and I don't care what WotC does with it. I've been a DDI subscriber from the beginning. I will remain a DDI subscriber. I get more than my money's worth for my subscription.

BUT. I don't listen to any software developer who says a feature will be available "soon."

Shrug. I'm willing to give most people the benefit of the doubt. In this case though- he seems to be the specific developer they've chosen to give out info on the new DDI tools, so when he says stuff I get the feeling he's not just shootin the breeze...

Really it's less what he says and more what he comes right out and says he can't answer, or doesn't know, or is not legally able to answer, or whatever that makes me trust him a little more. It indicates to me at least that he's not just saying something he "thinks" might be the case, and that he's only passing on info he's qualified to answer, and has available to him.

Related to this... I think they're trying to figure out a good balance of info they can give out to us.

They started with treating us all like "friends" it seems, and that backfired.

Then they went into total lock down blackout mode and that backfired...

I hope it's that quick... maybe they'll soon get the MB working. I'm subbed up to next summer, so right now I've unsubscribed, but if they actually can put the tools out that people seem to think they've got coming, I'll reconsider.

Well- if it helps he indicated that export has been moved up in priorities in features to implement. (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like they're trying to get it done for the next update at the latest, but obviously that's just a guess.)

The great thing about the new system will be no more annoyingly slow updates and flexibility to add in new tools/features.

Exactly. That flexibility includes the options of not introducing new tools and features or taking as long they want doing so while keeping the cash flowing because customers have no option to keep what they already have if they want to do something crazy like actually see new tools or features before paying for them.

In other words, the new system helps WOTC more reliably charge people for promises of what is sure to be coming soon.

renau1g

First Post
Well- if it helps he indicated that export has been moved up in priorities in features to implement. (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like they're trying to get it done for the next update at the latest, but obviously that's just a guess.)

Yeah I've seen Paolo mention it a couple times, it's moved up to supremely important, or something that that now ;). To a layperson, doesn't seem like it would be too difficult either, but I'm no software dev.

darjr

I crit!
wotc_trevor said:
Hey guys. I totally hear what you're saying and I've addressed the topic as best as I can, and at this point things are derailing a bit and getting awfully close to personal attacks, if not actually crossing that line sometimes.

I'm going to close this thread, but I wanted to touch on a couple things before I did that. First off - yes, I should have done a better job of clarifying what I meant when I saw there was confusion earlier. I try to let the community answer their own questions when possible and empower the VCLs to give you guys the factual information, but this was something that could have been helped with just a simple post from me. I thought the VCLs did a great job of answerwing the question, but I should have stepped in to confirm what they said. I'm sorry I didn't do that, and hopefully you won't see me make that mistake again.

I'm going to work with the VCLs and try to track down all the questions today that haven't been answered and do the best I can to get you the information.

Also, all the conversations from Wizards' end of things will be coming through me, so Paolo won't be back to address this thread.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit longer since I hit everybody with some more information here and in case people want some clarification on what I've said here, but I will be closing it later this afternoon. I also want to thank all of you for the passion you've shown for D&D and for your understanding.

That quote on Wotcs forum

Scribble

First Post
Exactly. That flexibility includes the options of not introducing new tools and features or taking as long they want doing so while keeping the cash flowing because customers have no option to keep what they already have if they want to do something crazy like actually see new tools or features before paying for them.

In other words, the new system helps WOTC more reliably charge people for promises of what is sure to be coming soon.

Sure- that's a pessimistic way of looking at it... Or you can look at it as saying:

They will have more man hours available for use on new projects because they don't have to split their team between-

Updating the CB Database
Updating the MB Database
Updating the Compendium Database
Working on new Features
Developing new tools.

Now they only update one DB, and work on new features and front end tools.

In addition since the client works on both PC and MAC they only have to support one tool to offer usability on two major platforms. (As opposed to what they would have had to do with the old CB, which was PC only, so they would have had to make an entirely new MAC platform, adding another front end and another DB to the list...)

Aside from that, customers have every right to quit using the system, just like they did with the compendium.

They haven't taken your ability to use the old CB away, so if you consider your subscription having gone towards that, they haven't removed something you paid for. They just no longer support updating that system.

All future subscription money will go towards using the tool, and accessing the library.

It's up to you to decide if using the tool and accessing the library is worth the cost of the subscription.

Sure- that's a pessimistic way of looking at it... Or you can look at it as saying:

They will have more man hours available for use on new projects because they don't have to split their team between-

Updating the CB Database
Updating the MB Database
Updating the Compendium Database
Working on new Features
Developing new tools.

Now they only update one DB, and work on new features and front end tools.

Past experience with digital offerings has taught me that the pessimistic view is the only road that leads to less dissappointment.

Aside from that, customers have every right to quit using the system, just like they did with the compendium.

They haven't taken your ability to use the old CB away, so if you consider your subscription having gone towards that, they haven't removed something you paid for. They just no longer support updating that system.

True enough in this case. My subscription ended in September and I decided not to renew. As a bonus I couldn't download the update that really porked the MB in October so mine still works OK. :)

Scribble

First Post
Past experience with digital offerings has taught me that the pessimistic view is the only road that leads to less dissappointment.

I'm very anti pessimism for various reasons, but hey whatever floats your boat. :)

True enough in this case. My subscription ended in September and I decided not to renew. As a bonus I couldn't download the update that really porked the MB in October so mine still works OK. :)

No harm no foul then! :)

Remove ads