OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

After sleeping on this, I can't really get behind this product.

The books are the main selling feature. Six half-sized 60-odd paged books. There's not that many more total pages than your average hardcover book, but with far cheaper binding costs. No fancy covers, gilded pages, etc.
The higher price is all the box, but that's not what's being sold. The description doesn't mention the box, or dice, or other features. Those could be subject to change.
But ignoring because you can envision the thought process. The booklettes themselves are hard to make fancy without changing their formatting. So the best way to make them a "premium" reprint is to make the box fancy.

One of the neat things of the premium reprints is giving people nice new copy of an old book they have nostalgia for, possibly with superior binding. Quite often the reprint is more expensive than a second-hand copy on Amazon or eBay.
But the same cannot be said for the original White Box. It's too expensive and rare to find used copies. This might bethe only time people will be able to see and hold those booklettes.
But they won't because it's freakin' expensive. I can't drop $200 for this, even as a lovely piece for my shelf. It's tempting but I'll have too many other expenses around that period.

It woud be nice to have two versions of this. Ones boxed in a plain yet solid cardboard box (like that of the Red Box). An affordable version for people who just want a copy. And then you have the super-deluxe version for people who want the extra fancy version.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It woud be nice to have two versions of this. Ones boxed in a plain yet solid cardboard box (like that of the Red Box). An affordable version for people who just want a copy. And then you have the super-deluxe version for people who want the extra fancy version.
That would be nice. I still plan on buying at least one copy of this for collector purposes - I assume it comes in some kind of shrinkwrap / mint condition seal. But I really do need a play copy for OD&D as well. It's not as if POD binding companies haven't made good money compiling personal copies into unified books for this (and other) games already. We could definitely use a compiled softcover as well. With Chainmail as this game required that book to run.

delericho

Legend
The books are the main selling feature. Six half-sized 60-odd paged books. There's not that many more total pages than your average hardcover book, but with far cheaper binding costs. No fancy covers, gilded pages, etc.
The higher price is all the box...

I suspect you're wrong about this. My strong suspicion is that the printing costs for all the reprints are actually very high (relative to 'normal' supplements), because the print runs are actually very small. That is, while a normal supplement might have a print run of 10,000 units, a reprint might have a print run of 1,000.

WotC are able to justify doing these print runs partly because of the much higher price point, and largely because they know that they'll sell out.

Unfortunately, not only does the OD&D set suffer from economies of scale because it will have a fairly small print run, but worse still it has seven small print runs.

It certainly would be nice having the two options. But given the print runs, that 'affordable' version may well not be - you could well be talking $80 for the set.

Ultimately, you can bet that WotC have had people do the math on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if they had determined that this was the only way it was practical to offer this product - an exceptionally high price, but with a premium product to go with it.

(One other thought: one of the things that will result from this is that WotC will have to generate a set of new files for the product. That being the case, they should be in prime position to offer the OD&D books in PDF format, after the reprint has had its day. So the 'budget' option is likely to be coming in time... but it will take the form of PDFs and/or PoD.)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Outdoor Survival was a boardgame with a wilderness hex map that OD&D referred to for use in wilderness hex crawl adventures. That would be nice - but they really should have included Chainmail and S&S.

For what it's worth, anyone can still pick up the Outdoor Survival board game from ebay for around $17 including shipping. Outside of OD&D players, I don't think the game was ever very popular, and there always seem to be copies out there for sale (sometimes along with other classic Avalon Hill board games, usually pretty cheap).

pdwmartin

First Post
Of course, ironically, Hasbro owns Avalon Hill, so they could easily provide a paper version of the Outdoor Survival map...I also suspect Chainmail may be offered seperately.

JeffB

Legend
Although I would prefer the original covers, this is what I have been waiting for in reprints.

AND it comes.out the day before my Bday,.so I know what I will be pestering my wife to get me ;)

Warbringer

Explorer
This is awesome... I came into D&D 1978 and the original white box wasn't available in the UK, from what I remember.

I will be picking this up, and regarding the price it's clearly a collectable, so not surprised. Games workshop did the same when they did a limited edition release of Talisman about 5 years ago... $100 for that game...

Wonder if they will offer through amazon

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Of course, ironically, Hasbro owns Avalon Hill, so they could easily provide a paper version of the Outdoor Survival map...I also suspect Chainmail may be offered seperately.

I believe Autarch will be doing a kickstarter for an Outdoor Survival type hex map (not identical, but in that spirit) made from vinyl that can be written on and erased at will, rolled up for storage, etc..

Here is a bad snapshot picture of their prototype, with watercolor art by Chris Hagerty:

wildernessmap.jpg

Attachments

• wildernessmap.jpg
    wildernessmap.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 149

pdwmartin

First Post
Nice :). I always thought Gygax used the OS map because it was available relatively cheaply - nothing says you can't use an alternative...

Remove ads