• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[November] What are you reading?

WmRAllen67

First Post
It's the middle of the semester, so the "for-fun" reading is mostly non-existant.

For classes, I'm in the middle of Death in the Dining Room & other tales of Victorian culture by Kenneth Ames, Gender and Jim Crow by Glenda Elizabeth Gilmore, and a fairly substantial pile of books having to do with New England stone walls... I have a paper due later...

But as soon as the term is over, it'll be 1635: The Cannon Law by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis, and A Meeting at Corvallis by S. M. Stirling...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
detomo said:
Also just finished Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. First one of his I've read in years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm a fan, anyway, but is that meant to be one of his better efforts?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just stepped out of my normal genre for a moment - I walked into my local library, and a book caught my eye: The Adventures of Johnny Vermillion, by Loren D. Estleman.

It is a Western - Johnny is the leader of a collection of colorful folks - they do Shakespeare, and they rob banks. So far it is richly written, with wonderful, pulpy descriptions. As your reading it, even the images in your mind get the proper sepia tone. I'm having a great time so far, though I'm only a couple chapters in...

Chaldfont

First Post
Just finished "Dead West", a great comic mixing spaghetti westerns and zombie movies. I've also read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I don't know if I can recommend it though. Its one of the best written books I've read in a long time. But its so dark. And there are unspeakable things in there--truly unspeakable, not cool Lovecraft unspeakable.

Yesterday I picked up all four of Edward Tufte's books on visualizing data. Great stuff for a scientific programmer! I got them for free from a friend--like $200 worth of books!

Mallus

Legend
Chaldfont said:
I've also read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
McCarthy made the American West into the postapocalypse... I shudder to think what he's done with an actual postapocalyptic scenario. That said, it's my next book purchase.

I'm still slogging my way through Erikson's "The Bonehunters". Terrific first third, then a glacial, confusing muddle, err, middle. I have to come to terms with the fact I've lost most of the plot(s) in that series. Things are picking up though, so I'll reserve judgement.

Before that I read two by M. John Harrison, the "Viriconium" collection, and "Light". The latter is one of the best novels I read in a long time, SF or otherwise.

Remove ads