[November] What are you reading?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Andre said:
I finished that one a couple weeks ago and am waiting for the second book in the series to be available at my local library.
I'm currently reading Throne of Jade, the second book of the Temeraire series. Soon to complete it by tomorrow evening at the latest.

I'm afraid I'll have to pick up the third book, Black Powder War, for my Thanksgiving holiday reading.

Two things got me hooked in the story: Dragons and Lord Nelson's Navy.

Here's hoping PJ and Weta get the greenlight to adapt the book(s) to film(s).

Chaldfont

First Post
Mallus said:
McCarthy made the American West into the postapocalypse... I shudder to think what he's done with an actual postapocalyptic scenario. That said, it's my next book purchase.

I'm still slogging my way through Erikson's "The Bonehunters". Terrific first third, then a glacial, confusing muddle, err, middle. I have to come to terms with the fact I've lost most of the plot(s) in that series. Things are picking up though, so I'll reserve judgement.

Before that I read two by M. John Harrison, the "Viriconium" collection, and "Light". The latter is one of the best novels I read in a long time, SF or otherwise.

Viriconium is great stuff. I'll have to check out Light.

Chaldfont

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I'm currently reading Throne of Jade, the second book of the Temeraire series. Soon to complete it by tomorrow evening at the latest.

I'm afraid I'll have to pick up the third book, Black Powder War, for my Thanksgiving holiday reading.

Two things got me hooked in the story: Dragons and Lord Nelson's Navy.

Here's hoping PJ and Weta get the greenlight to adapt the book(s) to film(s).

I'm hoping to run a Savage Worlds game based on the Temeraire series at Gencon Indy next year. Except I'm going with the US Navy vs. the Barbary Pirates.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Umbran said:
I just stepped out of my normal genre for a moment - I walked into my local library, and a book caught my eye: The Adventures of Johnny Vermillion, by Loren D. Estleman.
My lovely and brilliant wife read that a few months ago, and also loved it. I wanna get it at some point to read.

My new job (proctoring tests) leaves me a lot of time to read, so I've just finished The Miocene Arrow, a pretty interesting postapocalyptic book and the sequel to Souls in the Great Machine. The author does great battle scenes and has terrific macguffins, but his books would benefit from three things:
1) Maps
2) Casts of characters
3) Better-written female characters.

His women are interesting, but the major ones have all had moments for me where their actions become completely implausible.

I also just read The Wild Girl, a very interesting story about a group of people hunting the wild Apache in northern Mexico in the early 1930s.

Mallus said:
McCarthy made the American West into the postapocalypse... I shudder to think what he's done with an actual postapocalyptic scenario. That said, it's my next book purchase.
Wow, I think I need to find that, too. I've read three books by McCarthy. The last one was Blood Meridian, which I read obsessively over about three days. I put it down and had nightmares for a week, and haven't had the courage to pick up anything else by him since.

Daniel

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I just finished reading Dreamer by Daniel Quinn.

Interesting book. One of those books where you can't tell what's REALLY going on. There's a logical explanation and a supernatural explanation and the book goes both ways in trying to prove which is correct, making you even more unsure of everything until the very end.

Well, maybe there are further hints, but considering I read it in half hour chunks while riding the bus, I may have simply missed them.

WargamerX

First Post
Just finished my third Cat Who... mystery (This was The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern). Good read-mystery, and I can finish one on a single cross-country flight.

Working on Raymond Chandler's Fairwell My Lovely. Great pre-WW2 noir material.

Just picked up Shaara's WW2 start The Rising Tide, will probably follow Chandler.

Remove ads