D&D General Now That We Have HeroQuest, Do We Need D&D?

I used to play Advanced HeroQuest all the time as a kid. Never played the original.

D&D is a better dungeon crawler than any board game dungeon crawler can ever be. D&D can have story, and plot, and characterization, but none of that is necessary to play D&D.

Just make dungeon, put some monsters and treasure in it and play D&D. You have so much more content and possibilities than any board game can provide.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The story and roleplaying can be done just as well with HQ as you do in D&D, using HQ for combat encounters as needed. It's the same excuse that 4e forbade roleplaying because most rules were focused on combat.
You can role-play your pawns and knights in chess. Doesn’t make chess a role-playing game. Glad you dig HeroQuest, but this is a silly argument.

jgsugden

Legend
If you're looking for a light version of a Dungeon Delving game, there are a lot of options out there. I prefer Gloomhaven and Descent to HeroQuest, but to each their own. I'd also pick Zombicide, Claustrophobia, Mansions of Madness, Mice and Mystics, Cthulhu Death May Die, or KDM - all of which give you something similar to HeroQuest in a better package.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If you're looking for a light version of a Dungeon Delving game, there are a lot of options out there. I prefer Gloomhaven and Descent to HeroQuest, but to each their own. I'd also pick Zombicide, Claustrophobia, Mansions of Madness, Mice and Mystics, Cthulhu Death May Die, or KDM - all of which give you something similar to HeroQuest in a better package.
Those are not as casual as HQ, which I think is what the aim is. Trying to determine that line of its ok to be a board game or maybe you should just be playing a TTRPG instead?

Retreater

Legend
For my tastes, I'd put HQ above the ones I've tried (Gloomhaven, Descent, and Zombicide). I also put HQ above "hack and slash" sessions of D&D.

Remove ads