D&D General Now That We Have HeroQuest, Do We Need D&D?

Surely even a one page dungeon involves the basic element of thinking outside the box in approaching solutions to problems?

Heroquest is a board game with rules. If it's an available action within the rules you can do it. If it's not it's not.

Retreater

Legend
two different concepts with similar aesthetics. Yes, we need D&D. We've had Descent for almost 20 years, and the D&D board games from WOTC and Wizkids. Why is this even a question?
HeroQuest is like the perfect blend of Descent and the Adventure System games, at least for my taste.
And it's a question because it's back in print after nearly 30 years.

Retreater

Legend
Surely even a one page dungeon involves the basic element of thinking outside the box in approaching solutions to problems?

Heroquest is a board game with rules. If it's an available action within the rules you can do it. If it's not it's not.
Thinking outside the box is a barrier to entry for novice GMs and certain players as well.
In HQ we have neatly presented, simple rules. And once you know where the box is, it can be easier for the GM (aka "Zargon") to know how to make exceptions.
Want to interact with the furniture, like knock over this table? Sure, roll this die and get a "6."
What HQ gives is a standard operation of dungeon exploration, clear and simple rules for combat, clear goals at the start of each session of play.

Retreater

Legend
Ok. So now you're making an entirely different point. Yes. A board game like Heroquest is a good gateway into rpgs.

No. It's not a replacement for a one shot rpg. On account of being a complete different type of game.
For me it feels both needs and more.
If I'm going to run for new players, need to pull out a game with no prep, find something to fill a session where some players are missing, want something simple where people are distracted, want something to play that's a bit like D&D with just my wife, etc, I'm probably going to reach for HeroQuest.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
For me it feels both needs and more.
If I'm going to run for new players, need to pull out a game with no prep, find something to fill a session where some players are missing, want something simple where people are distracted, want something to play that's a bit like D&D with just my wife, etc, I'm probably going to reach for HeroQuest.
Agreed. Last week when I was convinced that it would be at least mid-2022 or later before I could get Heroquest, I started digging into my box set of The Fantasy Trip. And I realized that it is about the same situation, you can go from simple combats in Melee and Wizard to RPGing with In the Labyrinth with minimal work. And by minimal I mean a lot less work than walking someone new through 5th Edition Character Creation.

If I want a big full RPG experience, I will probably use The One Ring as my goto, as I know the world very deeply, and most of my group knows it well enough. For Dungeoncrawls, I will use Heroquest with some punched up narrative, and a Try Anything: we will figure it out attitude.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Heh heh... so it seems the title of this thread should really be re-written to ask...

Now That We Have HeroQuest, Do * I * Need D&D?

since the post was really talking about Retreater's experiences with both games and not really about the general gaming populace on the whole. But of course based upon the body of the post, it could have been retitled as...

Now That We Have HeroQuest, I Don't Need D&D

Because that's really the point of the entire thing. It doesn't seem like Retreater is questioning things at all, they've already made their decision on the matter. So the original title appears to me to be more to generate discussion for the sake of it. Which is cool and all, but ultimately I don't know if it was actually necessary-- even if the thread had the last title above as a statement rather than a question... there would still be plenty of people chiming in to say that it was crazy-talk. Because that's what we on the boards here do. We'll argue about other people's personal preferences till the cows come home. ;)

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I am a big fan of board games and roleplaying games. Sometimes, I just want something more contained with a little more focused. Other times, I want endless possibilities with lots of space for creativity. Neither is superior to the other. Both have pros and cons. I just don't want to live my life in a single round peg.

To answer the question, yes. We need D&D, and Heroquest, and any other game that makes us happy when we play.

Retreater

Legend
Because that's really the point of the entire thing. It doesn't seem like Retreater is questioning things at all, they've already made their decision on the matter. So the original title appears to me to be more to generate discussion for the sake of it. Which is cool and all, but ultimately I don't know if it was actually necessary-- even if the thread had the last title above as a statement rather than a question... there would still be plenty of people chiming in to say that it was crazy-talk. Because that's what we on the boards here do. We'll argue about other people's personal preferences till the cows come home. ;)
True. I speak in clickbait. My wife jokes that when I start a story, I should just begin with "Number 4 will shock you!"
The actual discussion I was going for is "what types of games does HQ do better than D&D?" and "what can DMs learn from HQ?" Neither of which are engaging thread titles and are wordy. We are ending up touching on the same topics anyway, even though we haven't gotten to the second question yet. (Read on to Page 5 to see how that one is answered - you won't believe it!)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
"what types of games does HQ do better than D&D?" and "what can DMs learn from HQ?" Neither of which are engaging thread titles and are wordy. . .
I like those titles. But then, I'm not most readers.

Why not just mash D&D and HQ together? "Roll for initiative," and that's when the HQ board comes out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases