• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E NPC names

Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names.

Enjoy.

Holy crap this is amazing! I'm creating various ethnic groups in my campaign world, and this is exactly what I need to come up with some sample names for each ethnic group (like the PHB), as well as easily keep NPC names sounding properly themed.

Is the pdf free (or available for purchase)? The hardcover is selling for upwards of $100, which is way out of my price range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadkill101

Explorer
I keep several lists of names from various online name generators and choose one from the list as needed, cross the name off the list and add it to my play notes with any other pertinent details. That way I'm never stuck for coming up with a name on the fly.

When coming up with names for NPCs, especially on the fly, I have often struggled.
As an example, when pushed, I panicked and said a monster's name was Waangkor.
Now, the flaw may not be evident for Americans, but it's a bit of an own goal.
The DM screen has a three-syllable name generator table but it's a little vanilla/elvish for my tastes.I saw on a thread (can't remember which, I think it was an oooold one), where someone suggested raiding football (ie soccer) for names.
As a Brit, I have to say, the NFL is a treasure trove for this. Case in point: Barkevious Mingo.
I am SO having him as a recurring NPC. But not too easy to parse the whole of the NFL in an instant for something suitable when you need to name Guard 3 or Shopkeeper 2.
Question is: where/how do you guys find inspiration for names at short notice? Any advice?

I often pick a culture from Dominions and then pick a name from the Dominions name list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNXA3nBYDQM6u2sG-teTuPEZa-_KEDJrwrurYvk8-eU/edit#gid=0

For example, my hobgoblins have slavic names, so I generally take them from Rus names (#146). Oleg, Demyan, Ilga, Efim, Gavril, Vladimir, Vyacheck. I don't stick strictly to the list of course--perusing the names in a column may give me ideas for my own names that have a similar flavor. My scro have names which don't come from the Dominions list but are flavored Hebrew-ish: Kalthiel, Esdras, Hammanas, Jehoiakim.

Also, I sometimes just name NPCs after characters in books I've read. E.g. one of my scro NPCs has an Amulet of Health called the Medallion of Varg [oaken wolfs-head medallion once owned by Varg of the Narash Canim] , which gives Con 19 and prevents you from speaking a lie or breaking an oath, DC 15 Wis save to do it anyway, and even if you succeed you take 6d6 psychic damage and the medallion ceases to function for you, can only ever be attuned once by a given creature. I totally stole Varg's name and personality from the Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Holy crap this is amazing! I'm creating various ethnic groups in my campaign world, and this is exactly what I need to come up with some sample names for each ethnic group (like the PHB), as well as easily keep NPC names sounding properly themed.

Is the pdf free (or available for purchase)? The hardcover is selling for upwards of $100, which is way out of my price range.

I'm assuming it's all available for use: scribe lists copyright as "attribution non-commercial", but I have not done further research, and IANAL. No infringement of copyright is intended by me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm assuming it's all available for use: scribe lists copyright as "attribution non-commercial", but I have not done further research, and IANAL. No infringement of copyright is intended by me.

The book itself says:
"All text in this book, other than this title page concerning the Open Game License, is Copyright © 2004 Trigee Enterprises Company. All trade dress is Copyright © 2004 Troll Lord Games, L.L.C. All Rights Reserved. "

So, some of the content may be open, but other bits are apparently covered by copyright. I've had to remove the links. Sorry.

"IANAL" is not a defense, I'm afraid, and, "I didn't do research" makes it worse, not better. No due diligence? *Poof!* It is gone.

In general, it is probably best to not redistribute content you didn't publish.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I use a generator like the Everchanging Book of Names (EBoN) to gen up a bunch ahead of time. Print out one page per race/culture, two columns, stuck in the back of my GM stuff. When I need one, I pull one from that list, give it a check mark, and often write a quick note immediately so I can later incorporate the NPC into my notes for that area.

If you don't have EBoN there are plenty of fantasy name generators on the web. Just gen up (and filter through) a bunch ahead of time. Once.

Remove ads