• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPCs with a neat escape method

comareddin

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Why would the PCs shoot arrows? You're using up two rounds to escape. Anything can happen in those two rounds. I know my wizard isn't above using dimension door to pursue bad guys. Web .... what web?

This one might not work, either. He's spending a move action getting up there, and could be shot while climbing.

The wizard was 4th level, the party 2nd. He cast dimension door from a scroll. The party figured if he was running away, he was really in bad shape, so decided to take him down with arrows.

As for the rogue, the rope has a mechanism that when it is pulled with enough force, it recoils itself and thus pulls the rogue up really fast (1 round)

Com

lastalas

First Post
comareddin said:
The wizard was 4th level, the party 2nd. He cast dimension door from a scroll. The party figured if he was running away, he was really in bad shape, so decided to take him down with arrows.

As for the rogue, the rope has a mechanism that when it is pulled with enough force, it recoils itself and thus pulls the rogue up really fast (1 round)

Com

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but the wizard and the rogue certainly sound like poor decision making by the PCs.

But anyways, back to the question at hand, Com wanted our input on clever escapes not a critique of his DM'ing style.

How about an NPC with a ring of water breathing or swimming, whose den is near an underground river. NPC starts to lose, kicks a lever which opens a trap door, and jumps into the raging water underneath. By the time the PCS were to strip and go after him he is long gone + with the ring, the PCs would be hard pressed to catch up.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I had an NPC (kind of a BBEG) who had an elaborate plan to both kill people (to fill his werewolf hunger) and to trick the party into killing the town mayor, getting them in trouble with the law. The party thought the mayor was the evil werewolf, and after they struck down the mayor, the BBEG strolls in the room.

"Oh, you killed the mayor? Thank you. (grin) Well, here's this scroll of Teleport."
"... What? What for?"
"(loudly) Guards, they're in here! We were too late, they've killed the mayor! (to the party) I recommend you use it now."

I liked the idea, and it actually makes the PC have to escape instead of the NPC. :)

Ambrus

Explorer
I try to always play NPCs with an escape plan, even if it's simply a run and hide plan. At best very smart NPCs will have several escape plans such as a dimensional door spell, teleport scroll, potion of gaseous form, invisibility spell, haste spell or an expedious retreat spell. It's hardly guaranteed that their plans will work however; I still give PCs a fair chance to twart the escape attempt with their own counter plans or actions. Sometimes the NPCs get away, sometimes the PCs manage to spot/catch the fleeing NPC or successfully dispel the teleport in the nick of time. As long as you're being fair I see no problem with it.

The most elaborate escape plan I ever devised for an NPC was that of lich and his three vampire cohorts. They had an invisible zombie wyvern with three spare coffins strapped to its belly waiting in a nearby courtyard with a juju zombie rider ready to lift off and fly away if the vampires were reduced to their gaseous forms during a confrontation with the PCs. The lich, a cleric, also had a succor spell ready (this was 2ed) to whisk him away to safety instantly if it were necessary. He also had a doll golem ready at his belt to help delay the PCs if they were physically chasing him as well as a bone bat in his backpack ready to fly to send word for help to nearby reinforcements.

In short, the PCs dispersed the three vampires, beat the doll golem, caught up to the lich fleeing on foot, distracted him while he tried to cast his succor spell and an ally of theirs finally cast Imprisonment on him. The PCs then followed the fleeing gaseous vampires and, thanks to blindsense, discovered the wyvern, gave chase to it and caused it to crash into a lake thus destroying it and its rider. They found two of the coffins floating in the water, slew the occupants, tracked the third vampire to the shore and killed it in a barn it had hidden an extra coffin in. They then shot at and destroyed the bone bat that he'd dispatched before it got too far away. The PCs' victory was hard earned and so complete that the NPCs' nearby reinforcements couldn't even figure out what had happened to their missing buddies for months afterwards. My favorite game ever.

Bardsandsages

First Post
Certain types of NPCs will always have an escape plan, but I really don't think most persons, evil or otherwise, think through that far. I mean, I know I DO, but the average person I know doesn't think about what happens if they lose, so I don't think every NPC has an actual escape plan prepared. The typical fighter, even at high level, doesn't think through what to do if reduced to less than 10 hit points. Most escape plans are going to be spur of the moment "HOLY CRAP I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE" sort of things.

Red Wizards and those types will ALWAYS have multiple escape plans. Usually, when I design these sort of NPCs, they have the feat still spell and/or silent spell, and have a gaseous form, alter self, or similar spell prepared with the feat. That way if they are captured they can escape easily. Normally, this is also a spell they can prepare without their spellbook (Spell Mastery feat). Of course, they'll have a contingency spell with a teleport or something to avoid having to use the other escape plan.

The sneakiest escape was a certain kobold necromancer who was attempting to bring the god of vampires to the prime. The temple had hired the party to locate and stop the necromancer, but they didn't really know who he was. What the party didn't know was that they had been working for him the whole time. He had polymorph self and a reverse alignment spell and the first time he approached the party, he appeared as a dwarf who hired the party to kill some yellow musk zombies, and as proof the deed was done, to bring him back a thumb. The second was as a elf female who hired the party to avenge her brother's death. To prove the deed was done, she asked for the heart of the peryton that had killed him. What the party didn't know was that these were spell components the little monster needed for his ritual.

So they finally tracked the necromancer down to his stronghold and destroyed his minions. He fled into the dungeons, where he then polymorphed into a human girl, locked himself in a cell with a dead victim, and started screaming and crying hysterically when the party arrived. The party actually spent 10 minutes arguing over whether they should continue looking for the necromancer, who was obviously escaping, or get the hostage out of the dungeon first since it was still crawling with undead. They finally decided to save the innocent first, and hopefully track down the necromancer later. So the kobold escaped from the party with the party's help.

cdsaint

First Post
An escape plan I've tried to use once, but never got a chance to implement due to a Hold Person spell and some poor rolls on my part.

BBEG's was set up with some smugglers in an underground lair. The tunnel leading to the dock was purposely weakened and then supported with wooden beams. The beams had a hollowed out section containing a vial of acid and a wooden rod which could be hit to shatter the vial, causing a collapse of the tunnel at the end of the turn of the person who hit it in 1d3 rounds. Not just an escape device, but possibly a deadly trap, and appropriate for non magic using villains.

Chris

Janx

Hero
I agree with Bardsandsages, and that was part of the point I was trying to make as well. There are more people who don't have an exit plan, than do in real life, and in most games. Case in point, few PCs have an actual exit plan for every fight. To qualify as an exit plan, means to plan how to get away BEFORE the fight starts.

Coming up with a good strategy using the elements at hand when you find yourself losing, is quick thinking, but does NOT constitute an exit plan. This is in effect, and ad-hoc exit plan.

Still, in all of this, comareddin is bringing up an important concept, in order to provide realistic opponents to PCs, the DM needs to have NPCs do more than fight until dead.

I think NPCs should have basic reactions to losing:
1) fight until death
2) use a pre-planned exit strategy
3) run away/hide
4) escape using whatever the current situation provides

I think the NPCs actual course of action (based on the above choices) is based on the INT of the NPC, type of NPC, resources available to the NPC, and the situation at hand.

For NPCs of high INT, the DM may need to always plan an exit strategy (while presenting it as if it were #4) to simulate the high intelligence of the BBEG. This may be considered using meta-game knowledge to simulate a smarter than the DM character.

One could even argue that for each encounter, the DM should decide which choice the NPC would use, and play the combat to that choice. This means the DM is deliberately varying the NPC response, providing a more "realistic" experience. Compare this to most new DM's choosing choice #1 by default for every monster in the dungeon.

In the spirit of the actual thread topic, here's an encounter with an exit plan:

NPCs plan an ambush along a wooded trail.
If they are reduced to 75% in number then
they delay their action to be on the same init # (in case they had differing inits)
run randomly into the woods, weaving amongst the trees to provide cover
they will hide for about an hour
they will all regroup at a landmark they agreed upon earlier, before trailing the PCs or returning to base

The purpose of this is to provide guerilla tactics against the party, preserving the lives of the NPCs. Their job is to harass and weaken the party, other encounters farther along the trail will continue the job. They have no practical means to run ahead of the party to attack them again, though they may decide to follow discreetly and eventually catch up and rear attack the party during some other encounter. The NPCs could be a monster race (like goblins) and simulate a random encounter, or they could be part of a larger plan.

In this case, the PCs should only get XP for the NPCs killed/captured, because full combat was never part of the NPCs plan (by "routing" the enemy, the PCs have not actually defeated the NPCs, because it was their plan to run away after light losses). This is different than direct confrontation with some monsters or a BBEG, where running away was a decision made at the last minute. In that case, the PCs have effectively defeated the enemy (and his plan to kill the PCs).

My intention with the above encounter is to provide a generic strategy template for a typical "group of bad guys attack the PCs in the woods". Not every encounter should be like this, but a PC trek to the local bandits' hideout could very well include a few encounters like this.

comareddin

First Post
You got my point precisely Janx. I mean just like the PCs value their lives, why wouldn't the NPCs value theirs. The PCs stick together even in worst situations because they are generally good.

However I played an evil psion in a drow campaign and when things got nasty, I would occasionally dimension door away and use my powers from far away, maybe heal up and return to the action later. Which did not cause much of a trouble with my drow friends because they we all knew that if they were capable of such things, they would utilize it themselves.

So the guys PCs fight are usually evil and unless there is a really strong bond between them, at times of near death they might be inclined to abandon their friends. If the said person is a leader of sorts, this is almost certain. So we could use this thread as a place to develop retreat strategies for intelligent enemies. They could be things like

- Protect the leader (for warbands and tribes)
- Simultaneous retreat (for strike teams, failed assasinations)
- Tactical retreat (Large number of archers, guerilla warfare)
- Going far away via magic (Arcane casters, demons, dragons etc...)
- Using terrain (Swimmers, burrowers etc...)

The list can be expanded and there can be variations on the specifics.

Com

Kwitchit

First Post
My personal favourite is the guy who has turned his clothes into a Refuge focus. So when he takes a hit, the focus is "destroyed" (the hole or slit from the weapon counts as destruction), and he teleports to a safe place.

There's also the guy with contingency, reduce person and a mousehole...

Raloc

First Post
I actually used a fairly fun escape method for an NPC I was determined to have as a recurring villain (he's a huge part of the plot, actually). The PCs fought him and barely won (his controlled giant spiders turned on him), at which point they left him in the main chamber of the place they were in and went exploring.

He has an amulet (that is hidden well, DC 20 Search, no one found it) that has a delayed/triggered cure spell on it. If he goes unconscious and is stable, it goes off after a certain amount of time. The PCs were absolutely bewildered when they returned to find the cleric they had left unconscious and bleeding to be gone without a trace :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads