Numenera is Getting Sexy and More

evilbob

Explorer
I'm not surprised by this release though I wonder if it is a little to early in the game's development to release.
Yeah, I agree that it's a little weird, and a bit early. I mean, there are VERY few books out for that system right now. If you exclude simple play-assistance products (GM screen, cards, etc.) and the 100% redundant (and pointless IMO) player's handbook, there is really only 1 core book, a couple of "magic item" books, and a couple of adventures. Adding a "sex" book when there are nearly no other options is going to color your brand pretty strongly. I mean, shouldn't they concentrate on getting the bestiary out, and maybe a few more other options that would be helpful for a wide range of gamers (settings, religions, more detail on specific regions, etc.) before diving into something that is a niche at best?

This is assuming that it also doesn't get turned into a weird bunch of sexist soft core whatever, which is something this hobby can have a tough time distinguishing itself from (rightfully so, given some of the issues in the past across a wide spectrum of games). I don't know any of the names involved so I won't guess what will happen one way or the other, but the core book itself has one or two examples of weirdness in this direction already, so it is definitely an uphill battle.

I guess ultimately it just begs the question: is this REALLY the direction you want to go right now? And can you convince consumers that you're doing it for some reason other than cheap reaction marketing?

dm4hire

Explorer
The Bestiary released to Kickstart backers this month and hits the regular market next month, but yeah, really only the one book. We'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Maybe they can handle this subject well, but if so it will be a first.

Apocalypse World has a Sex Move that is handled fine.

Although, yeah, as an entire book devoted to the subject, I can't think of anything that has really been what I would call good. So, I'm in agreement.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Presumably they looked at their Numenera brand and decided that a love and sex book was something they needed to get on the market right away, at the expense of other setting books.

I can't say I understand their reasoning, but I'm not gonna lie--I'm interested to see what they're doing with this theme.

Remove ads