Numenera - The Devil's Spine

Nebulous

Legend
So, I'm thinking of branching out and trying something different on Roll20. I've been wanting to run Numenera for years, and I've got the hardbacks and the PDFs. Roll20 supports the character sheet but not official adventures, but I've been looking at The Devil's Spine by Monte Cook and it looks pretty fun. I think I can import all the maps and art I need, it will just take a while. Does anyone have practical advice for running Numenera or even this adventure in particular?

Retreater

Legend
I haven't run Numenera but I have played it several times with a variety of GMs. From my player perspective it was very frustrating because of low damage potential, monsters with high DR, and a lack of options in combat (I was one of the wizard-type characters with a single spell that could do something).
So if I were GMing Numenera, I would be careful about the encounters and the types of monsters used. I think the system needs more "GM finesse" than more balanced systems.

Nebulous

Legend
I haven't run Numenera but I have played it several times with a variety of GMs. From my player perspective it was very frustrating because of low damage potential, monsters with high DR, and a lack of options in combat (I was one of the wizard-type characters with a single spell that could do something).
So if I were GMing Numenera, I would be careful about the encounters and the types of monsters used. I think the system needs more "GM finesse" than more balanced systems.

Thanks for the perspective. In some ways it looks very simple, but in other ways it doesn't. I guess if it doesn't really click with me I will try CoC instead, which is also on my to do list :)

Retreater

Legend
Not trying to discourage you, and I'm sorry if my post came across too negative. I've learned a lot over the years playing different systems. (FWIW, I think CoC is a great system.)

I’ve run Devil’s spine and it went very well. It‘s definitely one of the better official numenéra adventures. Be aware that numenéra is not as combat-focused as other systems, so it is true that combat options are more limited, because the bulk of the action is expected to be exploration. If you pay it as a comabt-heavy game, you’ll likely get frustrated.

Remove ads