[NWN] Question/Problem

Shawn Carman

Explorer
Howdy all. I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to ask a question like this, but seeing as how these forums have always been a great place to get some reasonable advice (as opposed to the seething cauldron of rage that is the Bioware tech forum), I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I've got a monk character who's just entering the Black Lack District. I went in and checked things out the first time, and of course got my head kicked in by Loxar. When I tried to reload, the game crashed out to the desktop (first time this had ever happened). It was late anyway, so I just decided to go to bed. However, now I can't load either the quicksave (at the Temple ready to go to Black Lake) or the Auto save (right when I get into Black Lake) will load. The game either hangs up (cursor moves, music continues, but nothing else happens), or I get an illegal page fault and crash out to the desktop.

So. Anyone got any ideas? I suppose I could back up the saves folder and reinstall, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it. Oh, and when this mess started I had like 1.18 (or something like that), but I updated to 1.20 in the hopes that it would help. Obviously it did not.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Shawn Carman
L5R Story Team
Alderac Entertainment Group

LightPhoenix

First Post
Shawn Carman said:
Howdy all. I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to ask a question like this, but seeing as how these forums have always been a great place to get some reasonable advice (as opposed to the seething cauldron of rage that is the Bioware tech forum), I thought I'd give it a whirl.

This is definitely the place for it! :)

I've got a monk character who's just entering the Black Lack District. I went in and checked things out the first time, and of course got my head kicked in by Loxar. When I tried to reload, the game crashed out to the desktop (first time this had ever happened). It was late anyway, so I just decided to go to bed. However, now I can't load either the quicksave (at the Temple ready to go to Black Lake) or the Auto save (right when I get into Black Lake) will load. The game either hangs up (cursor moves, music continues, but nothing else happens), or I get an illegal page fault and crash out to the desktop.

Well, can you not load any saves at all, or just the quicksave and autosave? Also, did you edit the module in any way? I can't really see why the saves wouldn't load unless it viewed the character or the area as invalid.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
The quicksave and the Autosave don't load (again, these are at the beginning of the Black Lake District portion of the game). I have a friend with a game saved on my machine that is still in the Peninsula District and it loads without trouble. I have no idea why one would load and one would not.

Shawn Carman
L5R Story Team

WizarDru

Adventurer
Shawn Carman said:
The quicksave and the Autosave don't load (again, these are at the beginning of the Black Lake District portion of the game). I have a friend with a game saved on my machine that is still in the Peninsula District and it loads without trouble. I have no idea why one would load and one would not.

Shawn Carman
L5R Story Team

Most likely your character file or the save file has been corrupted. We've run up against this in my group. The test of what the problem might be is to start a new game, and load the last save character you have. If this works, then there's something wiggy with the save game.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good recommendation to work around this. We ended up solving it by finishing chapter one without my character, and then I was able to join once they started a new game at Chapter 2.

Hopefully this will be fixed with the next patch.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
In response to a previous question (which I did not notice), no I have not attempted to edit the module in any way.

I did try to load the save point from another game, but unfortunately that didn't work either. This leaves me with the more-than-likely conclusion that either my character file or my saved game is corrupt.

I assume I don't have many options if that's the case? The notion of starting over makes me slightly nauseous (this was a 22 hour foray into the game that's locked up), and the possibility that I might go through all that just to have it lock up on me again at the same point... well, let's just say that if that happens, it will end in fire.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys!

Shawn Carman
L5R Story Team

Oni

First Post
This might seem like a silly question but have you reset your computer since then. The one bug I've had over and over again is that when playing a network game, if I try to load will some of the players is still alive it will sometimes give an error and crash out to the desktop. I cannot get the game to load properly again after that until I have reset my computer, but once I've done that everything seems to work fine.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
I've rebooted numerous times, yes. Including turning it off for 8 hours while I was sleeping last night, so it shouldn't be related to that. Or if it is, I'm in a lot worse trouble than I thought. :)

Shawn Carman

hong

WotC's bitch
The corrupted save game issue is one that's surfaced a number of times. So far, there doesn't seem to be a fix except to load an earlier save, one that isn't affected.

The moral of the story (as is usually the case): save early, save often. Don't just rely on the quicksave and autosave features either. There are no limits on how many saved games you can have, nor are there limits on when you can save. The first time I played NWN, I had ~150 saves taking up 1.7GB by the time I finished the game.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
This is why I keep two saves of any character I play - the quick save, for easy save and retrieve, and another copy of the saved game, which I use for storage when I'm done for the day. (I also update both consistently - one more than the other). It is sounding like a save game corruption, though why your autosave is also affected is a little confusing. I'm sorry I don't have any better solution than restarting - other than to say save often! :)

good gaming,

Henry

kylekornkven

First Post
Well, I hope you haven't done anything drastic yet, but I think I have a workaround. This same thing happened to me right after I patched it for the first time. I discovered that if you uninstall the game and reinstall it without patching, it will be fine. So save your character folder to another location and proceed with the uninstallation.

Note: When this happened to me, it was after I had installed the first patch. I managed to play offline long enough until the second patch was released before updating. I've never had the problem again.

Kyle

Remove ads