O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

Bagpuss

Hero
Can a table be self referring? I would guess not as it might cause issues with loops? But I was wondering how you deal with "Roll twice on this table" type actions which are quite common in table design.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess a controlling table which referred to the main table in this manner:

1-95) Rolls once on table A
96-99) Rolls twice on table A
00) Rolls threetimes on table A

I also use loops sometimes for something similar.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Hero
You could do with a little script that checks the first character of the result of the random table called and then adds "a " or "an " in front of it. That way you could have a table that has both "church" and "abandoned building" then you could lead in with either "the" or the script I mentioned. So you won't end up with "a abandoned building".

As it is the table needs to say "a church" and "an abandoned building" which means you can't have "the" as a lead in.

Bagpuss

Hero
Can't get the if script to work in a Table... here's the code

Code:
in a church {$check: {1d2}} {print: $check} {if: $check = 1} during a funeral{elseif: $check = 2} during a wedding{else} when it is empty{/if}

And even though it prints 2 as the result it always put in "when it is empty".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are you seeing my replies, Bagpuss? I keep answering your questions, but you don't say anything and continue on a new subject as though I'd said nothing! I'm starting to feel paranoid you can't see my posts!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So on the offchance you are seeing my posts, re. your most recent question - perhaps try removing the spaces round the =. I don't know if that will work, though. So you're trying to save yourself creating another table by using scripts instead?

Bagpuss

Hero
Yeah when there are only a few options it seems to make more sense.

Removing the spaces has fixed it.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Hero
How do you do a line or paragraph break? I can see the HR code for putting a line across but I just want to start a new line.

Bagpuss

Hero
It doesn't seem to work.

Code:
{Bagpuss(871A)} {Bagpuss(871B)}

Result

Iron Tower of the Hills23

Code:
{loop: 4}{Bagpuss(871A)} {Bagpuss(871B)}

{/loop}

Result

Lord Guardian of the MoorsKeeper of the WastesHigh Champion of the Highland PaleLord Governor of the Isles

When you go back in the the generator has removed the returns.

Pelldom

First Post
I've seen this before myself. Are you using Internet Explorer? If so switch the compatibility mode on or off, depending what you have it set to now. I've seen this exact thing a couple times now and switching the Compatibility mode always fixes it.

Pelldom

First Post
Can I request a new category for tables and generators? Bagpuss and I have begun a project to revive the amazing (and Long out of print) resource "Central Casting: Heros of Legend" book into OGRE. It seems like a natural connection. However it will require us to create a LOT of tables and (eventually) generators. We're hoping for a new category so that we can put all this there and make our combined work a lot easier.

I'm not sure though what the most appropriate taxonomy would be though... I'm thinking "Backgrounds/NPC/Personalities" or could a dedicated category for this project be created? "Heros of Legend Generator"? That might be too specific. "Central Casting Revival"?

Pelldom

First Post
Never used Chrome... does it have a function like compatibility mode? That might be the issue. Some sort of enhanced rendering tool or something similar?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O.G.R.E.

Can I request a new category for tables and generators? Bagpuss and I have begun a project to revive the amazing (and Long out of print) resource "Central Casting: Heros of Legend" book into OGRE. It seems like a natural connection. However it will require us to create a LOT of tables and (eventually) generators. We're hoping for a new category so that we can put all this there and make our combined work a lot easier.

I'm not sure though what the most appropriate taxonomy would be though... I'm thinking "Backgrounds/NPC/Personalities" or could a dedicated category for this project be created? "Heros of Legend Generator"? That might be too specific. "Central Casting Revival"?

Are you sure that's not "Heroes"? :)

Yeah, sure.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4