WOIN O.L.D Help with encounter building

Darren L

Explorer
I an just about to start a OLD home brew campaign and have a question

Just seeing if there is any rules about building a encounter using a system using max dice pools, Just asking because in D&D you have CR ratings.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Generally speaking, a PC will find a creature of the same max dice pool fairly easy, one higher a challenge, two higher difficult, three higher deadly. The three higher bit is where TPKs can happen, so be careful with those.

Justin Nelson

First Post
Hope nobody minds me reviving this thread, I need a little more assistance with this topic. So I get the idea that an opponent 1 MDP higher is a good challenge but how does that work out when trying to figure what I need to challenge a group? I have a party of 5 grade 5 PCs and am trying to design encounters for them. I assume throwing 25 MDP at them would end in a complete slaughter and that throwing things 1MDP would in turn be easy pickings for the size of the group.

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, so you try to equal the MDP total without having any individual foes more than two MDP higher.

So for your party, throw 25 MDP at them is a fairly easy encounter, as long as you don't have any single foes which will stomp them. A leader 2 MDP higher can work. So a leader at 7 MDP and four others at 5 MDP.

Flips

Explorer
Also, I have found that no matter how many creatures of -2MDP I set against the PCs, they don't seem to pose much threat. For example, my players are MDP 6 and there is 4 of them, but 8 4d6 Goblins, 3 6d6 Orcs, and 1 7d6 Ogre was little more than a speed bump, especially for my clever-clogs caster PC. The Ogre was effective, but was focused down because the Goblins (even aiming and with crossfire) were having a hard time hitting, and when they did hit, overcoming the PC's SOAK. The Orcs were marginally effective.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, -2MDP is a chance for the PCs to cleave through enemies like heroes. If you want to let them feel awesome for a bit, give them a bunch of enemies at -2MDP.

Flips

Explorer
Since characters basically start at 5MDP, Skeletons and Goblins have a very short shelf life. I was trying to get away from the idea that all these very common minor pests like goblins suddenly go away once the characters hit mid level and find ways to extend their usefulness, but theses are fairly limited. I guess they are cannon fodder for a reason and to be used to maybe burn up a few resources, but playing it out is frequently tedious. Any suggestions, or should I just move on to Orcs, Humans, etc. as the main forces?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since characters basically start at 5MDP, Skeletons and Goblins have a very short shelf life. I was trying to get away from the idea that all these very common minor pests like goblins suddenly go away once the characters hit mid level and find ways to extend their usefulness, but theses are fairly limited. I guess they are cannon fodder for a reason and to be used to maybe burn up a few resources, but playing it out is frequently tedious. Any suggestions, or should I just move on to Orcs, Humans, etc. as the main forces?

Level them up. It’s super quick. Give them +1d6 MDP. Add +1d6 to all checks and damage and add +4 to HEALTH and defences.

Remove ads