D&D 5E Obelisks? [spoilers YES]

pukunui

Legend
Huh, would love it if someone was able to point it out in OotA. There were some parts of that AP that we skipped
It's in the Whorlstone Tunnels beneath Gracklstugh.

The Chultan one... Hmm, will have to review. It'll be a while before my players get there
It's in Omu outside the entrance to the Tomb of the Nine Gods.

Ah yes, I remember there were actually quite a few obelisks in RotFM in the city (one of my favorite locations across the WotC adventures)
There's only the one black obelisk that is related to the others here - the one that, if activated, can send the PCs back in time thousands of years.

I missed that one. The party tackled the Earth cult last and I was wrapping up the campaign, so I mostly skipped the temple and more or less barrelled along to the final show down with the final encounter with the prophet.
It's in the "Shrine of Bleeding Stone" room - there's a black pudding that resides inside the obelisk.

EDIT: Found another one! There's a black obelisk that radiates abjuration magic in Shadowdusk Hold (Level 22 of Undermountain) in Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

EDIT 2: And another one! There's an obelisk of black metal with an abjuration aura near the Aeor Crash Site in the Eiselcross adventure included in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I printed my own in anticipation.
I plan to paint them and light them up inside so the runes glow.

157196A4-799D-48C3-BE61-29511BC95047.jpeg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Here's a sidebar from RotFM:

SECRET OF THE OBELISKS

In this adventure, we learn the secret of the obelisks that have appeared in other fifth edition adventures published by Wizards of the Coast, including Tomb of Annihilation and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

The first group of these magical obelisks was crafted by a secret society of spellcasters called the Weavers. These obelisks could alter reality on a grand scale, sending a region or an entire world back to an earlier time (effectively erasing part of history). The obelisks were constructed to counteract the effects of calamitous spells and cataclysmic events.

An evil wizard named Vecna stole one such obelisk and used it to erase the obelisk’s creators from existence. Vecna also stole the knowledge needed to create new ones. That knowledge later came into the possession of Netherese wizards, who built similar obelisks of their own. They believed that if some catastrophe destroyed their empire, these obelisks could help restore it. Unfortunately for them, most of the obelisks built to protect Netheril were stolen or otherwise lost over time, as were records of their purpose and information about how to activate them.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I'm betting Vecna will use the Obelisks to "reset" the timeline of all D&D worlds, so the next edition lore can start from a blank state, since RotFM says he used it to erase the Weavers from existence, and you can reset the timeline to before Karsu's Folly with the one present in the adventure.

OB1

Jedi Master
An Obelisk also shows up in Explorers Guide to Wildemount. It gives off abjuration magic and travelers that complete a long rest within proximity of the stone are visited with terrible dreams of strange, alien places and visions difficult to understand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases