D&D 5E Obelisks? [spoilers YES]

pukunui

Legend
I think the Obelisks are in everybpublished Adventure storyline prior to Witchlight in 2021.
They’re not in every adventure but they are in many of them.

Curse of Strahd has a ring of standing stones related to druids and some megaliths that I think have something to do with Jeremy Crawford’s homebrew world (aka Barovia’s original homeworld), but none of them are described as being made of black stone or metal, and none give off an aura of abjuration magic.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen has several sets of standing stone portals outside the cult’s hunting lodge but again, none are described as being black obelisks, and while they are active magic portals, they aren’t described as having abjuration auras.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They’re not in every adventure but they are in many of them.

Curse of Strahd has a ring of standing stones related to druids and some megaliths that I think have something to do with Jeremy Crawford’s homebrew world (aka Barovia’s original homeworld), but none of them are described as being made of black stone or metal, and none give off an aura of abjuration magic.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen has several sets of standing stone portals outside the cult’s hunting lodge but again, none are described as being black obelisks, and while they are active magic portals, they aren’t described as having abjuration auras.
Hence storyline: HotDQ covers Tyranny of Dragons, and Mad Mage covers Waterdeep.

Maybe they plan to undo the 4th edition time jump and the Spellplague for the Forgotten Realms? And, since I think they plan to release a Greyhawk book next year, maybe they plan to undo the semi-unpopular Greyhawk Wars alterations?

Doing that also gets rid of all the Dragonborn and causes a huge pile of messiness in the process, makes all the books of 4e and 5e meaningless so I doubt it.

Maybe they plan to undo the 4th edition time jump and the Spellplague for the Forgotten Realms? And, since I think they plan to release a Greyhawk book next year, maybe they plan to undo the semi-unpopular Greyhawk Wars alterations?

I think Vecna could be resetting most of the settings, but ultimately fails when it comes to FR, because most D&D settings have been in stasis for decades now, except for FR, resetting it now would wreck the Drizzt series and more, most 5e adventures and remove the changes made to FR that allows it to fit into 5e/1D&D.

darjr

I crit!
I was confused for a second because I thought, well, I put an obelisk in one of the War of the Burning Sky adventures, so maybe I'm part of this conspiracy too.

That obelisk magnified magical power so you could cast spells with a range anywhere in the world. It was basically a proto Death Star super laser.
You can’t deny it NOW! :)

It would be really funny if after this epic event there is a merger or new acquistion by Hasbro, and then new IPs and franchises would be added to the D&D multiverse. And so WotC had to start again to prepare a new event.

Seriously, if some things written in internet are true, this is going to be a year with a lot of troubles in the global economy, and this would mean biggest megacorporations changing owners. One of the possible impacts in the entertaiment industry is the release of intercompany crossovers.

Remove ads