Obsidian Portal or Epic Words?

Jack99

Adventurer
For quite a few years, I have been posting recaps, houserules and campaign world lore for my D&D campaigns on a blog. I have been using Blogger for this purpose, and in general, I have been happy with the limited options of it.

Now, as my next campaign is approaching, I am considering switching to something else. I was aware of both Obsidian Portal and Epic Words, but way back, when I first checked them out, they seemed very limited in scope. Now they appear to have significantly more features, and are thus back into consideration.

I am basically looking for a place, where I can write info about the world, the NPC's and such, while posting recaps of our sessions.

So, before making a decision and committing to one or the other, I would love to hear from you guys, and whatever experiences you may have with either or both of them.

Obviously, if there is another (better) option out there, that I am not aware off, I would also love to hear about that.

Thanks in advance

Kinak

First Post
I've used wikidot.com, creating wikis for the campaigns. It works pretty well for how I think, but I can't speak to how it compares to Obsidian Portal or Epic Worlds.

Cheers!
Kinak

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like to use a place called EN World!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php

Our Campaign Manager was part of the Kickstarter goals, and it's coming along nicely. Not completely finished yet, but so far it has journals, wiki, calendar, discussion, picture albums, NPCs, files, and links. And gets more stuff all the time!

Jack99

Adventurer
I like to use a place called EN World!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php

Our Campaign Manager was part of the Kickstarter goals, and it's coming along nicely. Not completely finished yet, but so far it has journals, wiki, calendar, discussion, picture albums, NPCs, files, and links. And gets more stuff all the time!

Hehe.. I guess I should have seen that one coming.

TBH, I had completely forgotten about the campaign manager. With this new ENworld on crack, it might be worth checking out. When you say "not finished yet" do you mean "will probably be done within a month" or more like "will perhaps be done in 2013"?

Cheers

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hehe.. I guess I should have seen that one coming.

TBH, I had completely forgotten about the campaign manager. With this new ENworld on crack, it might be worth checking out. When you say "not finished yet" do you mean "will probably be done within a month" or more like "will perhaps be done in 2013"?

Cheers

More "it works now, but will always be getting better"!

Jack99

Adventurer
It depends on how much of the formatting you want to control.

Here is my Obsidian Portal page for my current campaign. It is linked to a main campaign hub.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/unconquered-kingdoms

Otherwise ENworld is of course a fine choice.

I am starting to think neither will do, actually. What I want is a place where the campaign world info is the central part, and then I want to be able to add session recaps from the various campaigns I run in the world. Hyperlinks to use inside text for quick reference would be a huge bonus. If the place is easily accessible, even on mobile platforms, it would also be great.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Everything you just stated is being done in my campaign listed above.

It is linked to a central world, there are adventure logs, I have hyplerlinks all over the place.

I wonder if we are miscommunicating...

Remove ads