D&D 5E Obsolete Classes From Previous Editions

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Paladin.

What? You were expecting something else?

Yeah, yeah we know you don't like paladins...

As for the question, obviously wizard. Just give the sage background to your druid/bard/sorc/warlock and the ritual caster feat if needed.

Shiroiken

Legend
Not sure how the best way to look at this thread. I think the intent is looking at it is "what classes from older editions have a representation in 5E via. subclasses/background/feats." I'm actually curious which ones aren't (like Psion, Chronomancer, etc.) and suggestions on how they could be incorperated, and if they should. Unfortunately this would probably then turn into the Warlord debate...

Zardnaar

Legend
You say that as if it's some sort of subjective opinion, like, "Hey, I don't like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard," or, "Maybe booking a voyage on the Titanic, in retrospect, was not such a good idea."

Alas, it is not. This is not something that is open to reasonable discussion or debate, but, rather, an ineluctable and objective truth. I have looked into the abyss, and have seen the Paladin staring back at me.

Perhaps I am naught more than a modern-day Cassandra, doomed to forever announce that which is clear as day; "Do not let that accursed class into your game; for it is not just the doom of you, but the doom of all of us." And you are comforted in the banality of your day-to-day existence, unaware that this class, with its Trojan warhorse, is a vessel to allow the most unearthly and unseemly horrors into your existence.

But I have told you; and you have been warned. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Paladin R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I have almost completed Paladins and Gnomes the RPG. In my forward I'll dedicate it to you.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Samurai, Kensei, Warmage, Scout, Cavalier, Knight, Favored Soul, Healer, Archivist, (Spirit) Shaman, Dread Necromancer, Spellthief, Ninja, Invoker, Avenger, Warden, Duskblade/Swordmage, Shadowcaster, Dragonfire Adept, Runepriest, Seeker, Warlord*, and Assassin.

* YMMV.

Greg K

Legend
Swashbuckler,
For myself, this is true only, because of Khalis's Light Armor Fighter variant here on ENWorld along and with his subclasses that he included with it (I, really, dislike the Rogue Swashbuckler).

Mearls mentioned on his Happy Hour that he is planning a Shaman class. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he said it will be drawing on WoW's Shaman. To date, I have yet to find a 5e subclass for an existing a class or a Shaman base class that I consider to do the concept well. In fact, the only D&D shaman class that I consider to be well done was Green Ronin's Shaman class for 3e.

Dread Necromancer, Spellthief, Ninja, Invoker, Avenger, Warden, Duskblade/Swordmage, Shadowcaster, Dragonfire Adept, Runepriest, Seeker, Warlord*, and Assassin.
* YMMV.
I wouldn't mind a good Swordmage class (multi-classing is optional and I do not like the Eldritch Knight covering the idea) or a Warlord class (if the latter can do the Lazy Warlord, The Princess Warlord, and the Mowgli Warlord). The Ninja, to me, is a rogue as is the Assassin. The others never did anything for me in prior editions so I have no idea if they are covered in 5e.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
4e has several:

The avenger- replaced by paladin of vengeance.
The invoker- folded into cleric; doesn't have much of an identity distinct from it, so...
The warden- replaced by oath of the ancients paladin.

Only in the most broad possible sense.

The Hexblade is closer to the avenger than the vengeance paladin is.

There’s nothing like the warden in 5e.

Remove ads