• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Obtain Familiar question

shadyizok

Explorer
Is it possible as a sorcerer of wizard to get a second familiar through the obtain familiar feat?

The feat states:
You can obtain a familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or a wizard.
The familiar ability states:
A character with more then one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at the time.

If I'm a full wizard I have just one class that grants it so would I be able to get two familiars?

Noir le Lotus

First Post
No !!

Obtain Familiar gives you the familiar ability, as taking a level in the wizard class.

But I saw once in a Dragon Mag a feat to have several familiars (and a PrC too).

Herzog

Adventurer
mmm.

I'd say: no, but if you take the Obtain Familiar feat, all arcane casting classes (including those that normally don't give you a familiar) now count when determining familiar abilities.

Runestar

First Post
I will say no as well - it simply lets you duplicate the wizard's ability to acquire a familiar.

However, it is useful if you want to swap out your familiar for an alternate class featue; you can still take said feat to get a familiar back. :)

Jhaelen

First Post
Yes, it is possible. Read the language carefully. I don't know what the intent was, but it's doable.
I have no idea what 'the language' says. But I'm pretty sure about intent:

No character is intended to get a second familiar in ways that don't explicitly state you are supposed to get a second familiar.

I.e. nope you don't get a second one via this feat.

shadyizok

Explorer
:(

my wizards got the elven alternative class thing general magic. The third doubles the bonus your familiar gives you. I've got a rat right now, I wouldn't mind a weasel along with it to up my reflex aswell. Ohwell.

Btw does anyone know if the bonusses the familiar gets (improved evasion/speak with master/etc) stay if you cast a spell from the polymorph subschool on it?

I was thinking using trollshape on my familiar next spell level.

Jhaelen

First Post
my wizards got the elven alternative class thing general magic. The third doubles the bonus your familiar gives you. I've got a rat right now, I wouldn't mind a weasel along with it to up my reflex aswell. Ohwell.
Well, for the psionic version of familiars (psicrystals) there's a feat that will grant you a second familiar bonus.

So, if you're mostly interested in getting that second bonus rather than a second familiar, that would definitely not be overpowered for a feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads