[Oct 2015] What Are You Reading?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'm just starting a biography, George MacDonald: Scotland's Beloved Storyteller by Michael R. Phillips. I'm on a Victorian tear lately, looking for the basis of the revival of fantasy stories in the last couple of centuries. Many more modern authors have cited MacDonald as an inspiration. (This is after reading several books about Lewis Carroll and his primary muse, Alice P. Liddell.)

delericho

Legend
Well, I've finished all the books I mentioned in the OP. The Pathfinder Tale, "Beyond the Pool of Stars", was surprisingly good - they've been improving lately. I'm working on my review of "Out of the Abyss", but am not entirely sure what to make of it - much of it is brilliant, but there are also some very serious flaws.

I'm now reading "Trinity" by Conn Iggulden - his second book about the Wars of the Roses. After that, I'll move on to "Louise de la Valliere", the second volume in the third part of the Musketeers saga by Dumas.

Which should probably be enough to get me through the rest of the month. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Since previous post, have read Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson; Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett; The Purity of Vengeance, by Jussi Adler-Olsen; Year Zero, by Rob Reid; and The Man on the Balcony by Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo.

Warbreaker and The Man on the Balcony def. the best of the bunch. Pratchett was off his game; Dept. Q has been going downhill since book 1; Year Zero just didn't really do it for me. Not terrible, but not memorable.

Taking The Terrorists, by Sjowall & Wahloo; and Un-Lun-Dun with me this week, plus picking up my Kindle (which I forgot in the hotel two weeks ago) when I get back to the Orlando area.

Last edited:

Remove ads