D&D General Official Lego Set for Dungeons & Dragons Coming Soon

3,745 piece set includes an adventure to run using the model

Lego announced the release of the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons build set Dragon’s Keep: Journey’s End.

1.png

The 3,745 piece set includes a partially collapsed tower, a castle wall, and a tavern with removable roof. For characters, the set has six minifigures for a Dwarf Cleric, Gnome Fighter, Orc Rogue, Elf Wizard, and an NPC Dragonborn and Innkeeper. You’ll also build models of Cinderhowl the Red Dragon (who can also be perched on top of the tower) plus a beholder, a displacer beast, and an owlbear.

21348_alt9_webp_92.jpg

A free adventure will also be available from D&D Beyond and the Lego website on April 1st as a digital download making use of the terrain. To celebrate the release, Lego will host a live stream of the adventure with Anjali Bhimani (Ms. Marvel, Overwatch 2), Ginny Di (YouTuber and cosplayer), Luis Carazo (Candela Obscura, Outbreak: Undead Rag & Bone), Jordon Scott (LEGO Designer), and Lucas Bolt (designer of this set, see below) on April 6, 2024, at 12 noon Eastern.

21348_alt10_webp_92.jpg

The set was designed by Lucas Bolt aka BoltBuildz as part of the Lego Ideas program in a contest launched in 2022. The winner was announced in January 2023 with a preview of the set. As part of the contest, Bolt will receive 1% of net sales of the product, complimentary copies, a D&D prize package, and other considerations.

2.png

The set will be available for sale starting on April 4, 2024, for a retail price of $359.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

GrimCo

Adventurer
tbh this makes me feel sad.
I loved legos as a kid, still do. My husband still puts a blister pack into my xmas stocking every year, and these are not cheap. As a kid saving my allowance (and help from mom) was really the only way I could afford it.

This cannot be for kids. I don't know many folks here have kids, but how does a kid afford this??

Unless kids are not the target market, which makes me sadder.

It's not meant to be affordable by kids. Not on normal pocket money. It's for grown ups who have extra cash and love legos so they can build it and put it on the shelf. Or for us grown ups who have extra cash and don't mind our kids playing with "our" toys. Sets like this are for birthday or Christmas presents if parents can afford it.

I feel you. As a kid, big lego sets were out of reach for my parents. Biggest one was combined Christmas present for me and my brother and that was Fright Knights Witches magic manor. For years my mom would comment how she spent half her months salary on that.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
tbh this makes me feel sad.
I loved legos as a kid, still do. My husband still puts a blister pack into my xmas stocking every year, and these are not cheap. As a kid saving my allowance (and help from mom) was really the only way I could afford it.

This cannot be for kids. I don't know many folks here have kids, but how does a kid afford this??

Unless kids are not the target market, which makes me sadder.

Kids aren't the target audience. This is something you put together over a weekend or so then put on a shelf and forget it exists 90% of the time. It's $350 geek decor.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not meant to be affordable by kids. Not on normal pocket money. It's for grown ups who have extra cash and love legos so they can build it and put it on the shelf. Or for us grown ups who have extra cash and don't mind our kids playing with "our" toys. Sets like this are for birthday or Christmas presents if parents can afford it.

I feel you. As a kid, big lego sets were out of reach for my parents. Biggest one was combined Christmas present for me and my brother and that was Fright Knights Witches magic manor. For years my mom would comment how she spent half her months salary on that.
Thst matches my experience as a 90's kid, with my own Lego age kids now.

And those Fright Knights sets, similar to the OG Castle, were actually a worse value proposition than this set! It's like only twice the price when adjusted for inflation, with 4-5 times the number of pieces.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Yea. I googled now some sets from childhood. Only other "big" set i got as a kid was Dark Dragon's Den, which is around 200 pieces and that was present from mom's uncle from Australia, cause sure as hell my parents couldn't afford it back then. My cousin got Royal Knight's Castle. That thing cost more than average monthly net salary. And it had only 712 pieces. Back then, lot's of those sets had big molded pieces. And most of us got only one or two big sets, usually as shared present with siblings ( unless you were lucky and had some relatives working abroad ).

Set like this has more pieces than me and my brother had with all our combined childhood legos.

Like i said, my kid is too small for legos, but i have friends with kids aged 6-8. I have decent amount of "collector" sets. Every time they come to visit, they play with those sets. I see how happy they are playing with those. And when this comes, if they want, they can play with it. When my kid gets old enough, you bet well be playing with all those sets, this one included. I don't buy toys to collect dust on the shelf.

I think it looks great. Almost tempted. Almost. But I don't have room for it, would probably never have the time to build it, and it is too rich for my blood (I have other expensive hobbies I spend too much on). Still, for a big LEGO set, it is not as outrageous as it could have been.

This video, by a LEGO guy, not a D&D guy tempted me a little. I love the little touches in it and of course the minifigs.

I will try to get some of the D&D minifig packs if they sell them in my area.

When I was a child in the 80's LEGO was just-arrived and not so popular. At my home there was Tente and Exin Castillos, two unknown brands for you.

s-l1200.webp

a2ndBMtCussESofHKwMDbD9sOWE1Oe8MB7g_-l_hwn7rgnlfNQJsPZXT_n3cmu4Rnq7j54URIVb3x1lLttxE_xeccqxEGXJaVncJavq1uN3D

I wonder if D&D:playmobil would be possible in the future. When children are saving money they would to buy a bigger number of smaller boxes. Maybe Playmobil would be a better option to introduce the brand to the youngest generation.

We can agree thix big and expensive box is not a product for children but for adult collectors.

We shouldn't forget the possibility of a future D&D: LEGO animated show. Or maybe D&D: LEGO in Fortnite. How would be a D&D: LEGO smash-up version of Fortnite: Save the world?

If LEGO wants to sell D&D vehicles then not only Spelljammer but Eberron could be a good option. How would be a LEGO version of infernal vehicles from Descent into Avernus?

Li Shenron

Legend
As someone who's been using Lego to play D&D for over a decade, I would not recommend buying this set for such purpose. Buy it if you want to have fun building it and showing it off on a shelf.

There are many other less expensive options from Lego that can be used effectively for D&D or other RPGs. Minifigs are expensive on the second hand market because of way too emphasis on collectors, but if you don't want a specific one from a discontinued set, you can still find plenty of medieval or monstrous minifigs. What has been missing from Lego, is ready-made large-sized monsters (there have been some but they generally look lame). It's better to find your own way to build such monsters with bricks. As a matter of fact, there have been many dragons, of very large sizes, and a non-licensed-theme set with a dragon (for example from Ninja Go, if the theme is still going on nowadays -> we have in fact at least 3-4 pretty big dragons of different colors from Ninja Go boxes, including a Dracolich!) will not cost nearly as much as the D&D-licensed one. The good news from this D&D set, is that now everyone will know how to build a beholder, an owlbear and a displacer beast using bricks, which are hopefully basic enough not to be hard to find ;) (though you might need to print yourself some stickers for the beholder's eyes)

Zander

Explorer
When I was a child in the 80's LEGO was just-arrived and not so popular. At my home there was Tente and Exin Castillos, two unknown brands for you.

a2ndBMtCussESofHKwMDbD9sOWE1Oe8MB7g_-l_hwn7rgnlfNQJsPZXT_n3cmu4Rnq7j54URIVb3x1lLttxE_xeccqxEGXJaVncJavq1uN3D
I'm not just a D&D enthusiast, I'm also an AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO). I'm certainly aware of Exin Castillos and have been for years. I considered getting a set about 20 years ago but didn't really have the room for it back then and, if memory serves, it's not compatible with LEGO with larger studs.

As for the soon-to-be-released LEGO D&D set, I'll be ordering it on day 1, i.e. tomorrow, along with the accompanying adventure. It'll be the single largest LEGO set I have and the most I've spent on LEGO in a single purchase... but it's D&D and LEGO. How can I resist? That's a Wisdom saving throw against which I'm never going to succeed!

Remove ads

Remove ads