Official RPG for Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra announced

A new roleplaying game set in the animated world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra is to be produced by Magpie Games. The core rulebook is set for release in February 2022, with two supplements following over the next year. https://www.magpiegames.com/2021/02/03/new-rpg-set-in-world-of-avatar-tla-tlok/ Magpie Games has secured a multi-year licensing agreement with...

A new roleplaying game set in the animated world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra is to be produced by Magpie Games. The core rulebook is set for release in February 2022, with two supplements following over the next year.

Avatar-BlogPost-top-800x290-v2.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

Magpie Games has secured a multi-year licensing agreement with ViacomCBS Consumer Products to produce a tabletop roleplaying game set in the world of Nickelodeon’s animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

“The stories of Avatar are so moving for us because they are joyous and heartbreaking,” says Mark Diaz Truman, CEO of Magpie Games. “We’re incredibly excited to bring the tales of brave benders and loyal friendships to tabletop roleplaying games; we know so many fans of both series have been waiting years for this moment! We’re also thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Asian designers like James Mendez Hodes to bring the world of Avatar Aang and Avatar Korra to life in a way that’s true to the authentic, diverse spirit of both shows.”

“We believe Magpie Games is the ideal partner to develop a roleplaying game based on Avatar: the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra” says Pam Kaufman, President, Global Consumer Products, ViacomCBS. “Their commitment to supporting diverse content from diverse creators along with their exceptional game product made them the right choice to bring the world of Avatar to tabletop roleplaying games.”

This roleplaying game is a unique opportunity for fans of the show to return to a beloved setting—this time as the heroes of the story! Rising to meet their destiny, players will make characters using playbooks—templates that help players build and play compelling protagonists in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Together they might protect local merchants from the Triple Threat Triad in Republic City, travel through a spirit portal to rescue a child taken into the Spirit World, negotiate peace between feuding communities within the Earth Kingdom, or pursue mysteries (and villains) that arise throughout their adventures!

The roleplaying game’s Core Book is slated for a February 2022 release with two supplements to follow in August 2022 and February 2023 titled Republic City and The Spirit World respectively.

DW is the one of the worst PbtA games out there. It's a shame. A real opportunity to create a 2nd edition or another fantasy PbtA that's better designed.

Those games depend a lot on the GMs creative thinking and improvisation. It can work but it's tiring to GM in my experience.

I'm also not sure that it's a good fit for Avatar. Those games work best when players invest in world building together with the GM and it's going to be hard with the established lore in Avatar.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What rules system is being used?, didnt see it on my (admittedly quick) glance over

Last edited:

Skywalker

Adventurer
Is PbtA easy for younger gamers both to play and to GM?

Someone above said it can be tiring on the GM, but ive never played it.
PbtA is less a universal rule system like Savage Worlds and more a family of games or a design toolkit. As such, each PbtA RPG can vary considerably and experience with 1 (in this instance DungeonWorld) isn't necessarily a good comparison.

FWIW Magpie Games have already released a PbtA RPG for younger players called Epyllion and it is superb. I have run it at a local con for 8-12 year olds and it worked really well. It may give a better comparison to look at.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
DW is the one of the worst PbtA games out there. It's a shame. A real opportunity to create a 2nd edition or another fantasy PbtA that's better designed.

Those games depend a lot on the GMs creative thinking and improvisation. It can work but it's tiring to GM in my experience.

I'm also not sure that it's a good fit for Avatar. Those games work best when players invest in world building together with the GM and it's going to be hard with the established lore in Avatar.
Yeah, I suppose playbooks for each element/gear and approach would allow players to create their own bending styles from Bloodbending to Metalbending and even Kyoshi Warrior - War Fan style.

Be interesting to play in the time of one of the earlier Avatars like Kuruk or the adult Aang and thus do some worldbuilding play too.

But yeah I tend to find PbtA a fiddly ruleset to get use to, though I do like City of Mist

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads