Og: Unearthed

Crothian

First Post
No we never did. I'll try to remeber to bring the book and some character sheets. It takes 5 minutes or less to make up characters but unlike other games I think it works better with characters made at the table then pre gens.

I played a game of Og once, about 7 or so years ago. It was good fun. From memory our game was basically the plot of Romeo and Juliet Og-style. I think you defeat your opponents in combat by stringing together sentences, the longer the better.

I do remember having one heck of a sore throat by the end of the game (I just about lost my voice) due to talking with the limited vocabulary which seemed to have lots of hard sounds. I'd definitely play it again though.

Olaf the Stout

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I've been really curious about Og for a while... sounds like great fun, with extra awesomesauce!

What's the learning curve like? Is it suitable as a party game with non-RPGers? That is, is it easy to teach/learn on the fly?

BenBrown

First Post
I've been really curious about Og for a while... sounds like great fun, with extra awesomesauce!

What's the learning curve like? Is it suitable as a party game with non-RPGers? That is, is it easy to teach/learn on the fly?

There's not much to the rules. The learning curve will go a little faster with people who've got at least a basic idea of how RPGs work, but since the real fun in the game is attempting to communicate and being dumb, I think it could work for non-gamers.

It's much better for that than previous incarnations of Og, which were more D&D parodies in the way stats worked.

Cadfan

First Post
I can summarize the rules pretty easily.

You know X number of words. These are the only ones you can use to talk to other people, though you can gesture and grunt.

If you want to succeed at a task, roll a d6. If you have a skill related to the task, you need a 3 or better. If not, you need a 6. If you roll a 1 you fail hilariously badly.

If you want to hit someone with something, roll a d6. You succeed on a 5. This can be modified slightly depending on what you're hitting and your character's abilities.

You have a "class" which is a sort of caveman archetype that gives you a bonus on certain things. An "eloquent" caveman knows extra words. A "learned" one has more skills. A "tough" one takes less damage. Etc.

That's basically it. If you play long enough to gain experience, you gain it in the form of new words.

tallyrand

First Post
I ran some Og for some friends of mine many years back, there was a part of character creation where you listed "things you can do" and "things you cannot do" Can do was for skills, and cannot do was more of a joke for thing like "Fly" or "Cast Fireballs" and so on.

My players on the other hand fill in things they cannot do with such gems as:
-Work well with others.
-Follow simple directions.
-Stop while he is ahead.

Woas

First Post
Thanks for this thread. I've been eying this game for a bit and finally ordered it. It'll make for a great Gameday game! :lol:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
No we never did. I'll try to remeber to bring the book and some character sheets. It takes 5 minutes or less to make up characters but unlike other games I think it works better with characters made at the table then pre gens.

Huzzah! Put it in the Games for Gencon forum!

Big hairy bang hairy thing ugg versimilitude!

Remove ads