D&D 5E OGC for 5E?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
If WotC does see the wisdom of making 5E an OGL game, what OGC from the vast pool accumulated over the last decade from 3PP would you like to see considered for adding into the new edition?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I honestly doubt 5e will be OGL. If so, it will be a very restricted license. They won't want to repeat the mistake they made with Pathfinder by giving their game to the competition.

And I disagree I think they will make a new OGL that opens everything up to 3PP but does not give the entire games rules available for free.

However, on topic, I'd love to reprints of big classic adventures and settings... Black Company, Ptolus, Sword n Sorcery series, Rappan Athuk etc

Consonant Dude

First Post
A lot of initial playtest reports liken DnD-Next to ADnD and "older" editions.

If WotC deliver on their promise of an edition that plays and feel like all editions, it's not a stretch to think that even if they don't explicitly put it under the OGL, people will use the OGL to support it (and perhaps clone it).

That's the situation ADnD was in for instance and that's what people did. Same with Basic DnD and ODnD.

The conclusion to me is that (assuming again the core game of the next edition captures the essence of previous editions) Wizards might as well use the OGL. That way they would generate goodwill. Cause even if they didn't use it, people would find a way.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Let's think of this thread in terms of IF they actually go with the OGL, which mechanics from the OGC pool might be something to consider for the new edition. This would include cool creatures that you found in adventures, maybe whole adventures if they were 100% OGC, perhaps rule variants that you adopted for your own game, Maybe a type of weapon, magic item, or spell that you came across in a third party sourcebook, or some other such bit of Open Game Content. Let's leave the will they or won't they argument to the other threads where that is already playing out, if you please. Thanks! :)

Consonant Dude

First Post
Let's think of this thread in terms of IF they actually go with the OGL, which mechanics from the OGC pool might be something to consider for the new edition. This would include cool creatures that you found in adventures, maybe whole adventures if they were 100% OGC, perhaps rule variants that you adopted for your own game, Maybe a type of weapon, magic item, or spell that you came across in a third party sourcebook, or some other such bit of Open Game Content.

I doubt they would do it but I would love if they looked at certain FATE features. I think Aspects are something that is easily portable to core DnD.

Also FATE points (or something like Hero points from Mutants and Masterminds) would be ideal to balance random chargen. So maybe you got unlucky on your ability scores but you get a higher number of FATE points to save your butt each session.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Call me narrow minded, but while there are several excellent OGL games, I think it's a mistake to try to turn D&D into another game by borrowing mechanics from those other games.

Keep D&D, D&D. Let those other games be other games.

Croesus

Adventurer
If WotC does see the wisdom of making 5E an OGL game, what OGC from the vast pool accumulated over the last decade from 3PP would you like to see considered for adding into the new edition?

Templates, specifically for creatures (not PC's).

If WOTC has them in 5E, great. If not, I'm hoping it will be relatively simple to make my own conversions. There are just so many good, nasty templates out there that can spice up an otherwise standard encounter.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I honestly doubt 5e will be OGL. If so, it will be a very restricted license. They won't want to repeat the mistake they made with Pathfinder by giving their game to the competition.

It would, however, be a very good way for them to say "We absolutely are not moving on to another edition, this is the last one"

Because Pathfinder only managed to exist because they stopped supporting 3.x. If they have an OGL for 5e, that problem will only arise if they stop supporting 5e.

Although the other problem (the D20 glut) could easily happen again with another OGL release.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Templates, specifically for creatures (not PC's).

If WOTC has them in 5E, great. If not, I'm hoping it will be relatively simple to make my own conversions. There are just so many good, nasty templates out there that can spice up an otherwise standard encounter.

That Green Ronin Advanced Bestiary was chock full of cool templates.

Remove ads