D&D 5E OGC for 5E?

Nylanfs

Adventurer
So was the Book of Ultimate Templates(?), and yes templates are good.

One thing that I most liked were the niche products, or concepts that WotC doesn't seem wanting to cover. Like the Oathbound setting, interesting universe and backstory. And most of Bastion Press's works I really enjoyed. Plus traps, lots of traps. FFG's Traps and Treachery 1 & 2 were simply awesome, especially from a mechanical designers perspective. :)

Greg K

Legend
I don't what material is OGL content from the following, but these are third party d20/OGL products that I would look at:

Fantasy Occupations (Adamant Entertainment)
Cavalier's Handbook (Green Ronin) except for the class itself
Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin)
Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin)
Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin)
Holy Warrior's Handbook (Green Ronin)
Unholy Warrior's Handbook (Green Ronin)
Hong's Knight (Hong)

True20/Mutants and Masterminds (Green Ronin): True20 Conviction/M&M Hero Points and rules for what they can do, Pushing Rules, M&M Complications, True20 Classes, True20/M&M damage system

Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc): Maneuver System and Fighter Fighting Styles

Scrollworks issue #? (Scrollwork Press/Christian Walker): Fatigue and Exhaustion from Hit Point Loss by Michael Hammes

Poisoncraft (Blue Devil Games): Poison rules

Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games): Slot System Magic Item Creation
Advanced Rules for Beginners (EN Publishing)

From Stone to Steel (Monkey God/Highmoom Media)
Airships (Bastion Press/ Dragonwing)

Bestiary: Predators (Betabunny)
Sharks! (Bards and Sages)
Snakes! (Bards and Sages)
Spiders! (Bards and Sages)
Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin)
Book of Templates (Silverthorne/Goodman Games)
Book of Fiends (Green Ronin)

Noble Steeds (Avalanche Press)
Experts 3.5 (Skirmisher Press): even without the expert classes, but the rest of the material is great for DMs wanting to world building.

Beyond Countless Doorways (Malhavoc)
Tournaments, Taverns and Fairs (EN Publishing)

Alchemy and Herbalists (Bastion Press/ Dragonwing)
Torn Asunder (Bastion Press/ Dragonwing)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I honestly doubt 5e will be OGL. If so, it will be a very restricted license. They won't want to repeat the mistake they made with Pathfinder by giving their game to the competition.
On the other hand, if WotC hadn't dropped their support for the 3.X brand in favor of 4E, and had continued to produce offerings for both systems, they would have been getting money from both sides of the gaming community and Pathfinder wouldn't have lasted a month.

So was it the fault of the OGL? Or was it bad decision-making?

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Well, retreading what "could have, should have, would have" has been over done.

Personally? I like some of the stuff from Iron Kingdoms, particularly Liber Mechanika's alternative breakdown of building magical items. And Steamjack building. A module for conprehensive magical item and golem customization would rock for 5e (in a splat, though; I don't want something like it to be core).

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I could get behind Iron Kingdoms, but they're working on their own system.

The first product that springs to mind is Traps and Treachery from Fantasy Flight Games. I never thought I was a fan of traps until I read those books.

I'll give a hearty second to M&M Hero Points and/or True20 Conviction! They'd both need some tweaking to fit D&D, but the basic concept is very solid.

I'd LOVE to see the Toughness save from either of those games make it into D&D, but I know perfectly well it will not happen; hit points are just too sacred a cow. Maybe in a module.

Remove ads