OGL 1.2 survey is now live

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Do as I say, not as I do?
Oh, yes, because that's totally the same. 🙄
Which is fine. As long as you don't support the game in any way and don't bring new players into the hobby and don't buy any licensed or supporting material like dice and miniatures. Or replacements for damaged books. Or visiting their websites. Even buying 3PP for the game is effectively advertising the game by proxy. Oh, and of course don't raise brand awareness by talking about it online.
Oops. Too late.
Your conclusions are asinine at best.

Regardless, it's deeply hypocritical to boycott a company while still using their products.
No, not really. I'm not giving them money, that's what it's all about.

Responding to the survey will bring future change. This is where "not accepting it" ends.
Only responding to the survey isn't enough, though. WotC needs pressure on them from other angles as well.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
That is an old number, no idea what happened since though. We will see who will be back, we will see whether more leave, this is still a developing story. Not cancelling a free account is also not a strong indication that you are in agreement with WotC. I basically have mine for the playtest and the free monster manuals for example.
A free account can be cancelled. But anyone that has bought any books might be less likely to cancel.
And, really, if it includes free accounts and non-subscribers that actually makes the 50k figure less impressive, as it draws from the pool of 10 million-plus users and not the much smaller pool of subscribers. And cancelling a free account means WotC hasn't lost any money.
by who? and How do you define 'actual feedback'. You fill out the survey, that will be the actual feedback.
Yes. It would. And if we'd been coordinating and actually working on the issue here instead of kvetching, we could have outlined a half-dozen key points and all posted them to the survey in an organized fashion. We could have identified more problems in the license beyond "deauthorizing."
Instead, the responses from posters here will be a handful of "keep the OGL 1.0s" results that will be discarded.
Don't think you ever cared, and I certainly can decide for myself what I am ok with and what not. What I do not need is people bending over backwards to please WotC, and you are very close to that.
I haven't posted here in over a year and returned explicitly to call out the leaks are horrible and atrocious. To add my voice to the angry calls for WotC to do something, as I cancelled my DDB subscription and also planned to delist my DMsGuild products should WotC not favorably respond.
Now, I'm grimly accepting things. I don't want to let the perfect get in the way of the good. The OGL 1.0a is as good as gone, but we can at least make the 1.2 better and support 3PP. Work towards the least bad outcome, or even an "acceptable" outcome.
A strong market of alternative RPGs also helps 3PPs. I do not have to stick to WotC for that. In fact at this time I prefer not to just out of principle, so am definitely looking at what is happening with ORC.
Yes and no. The alternative market is nice, but the numbers are too small to support many 3PP. Even Pathfinder 2 doesn't have the player numbers for many 3PP.
per edition, but more importantly it will hit WotC fully, because they will not be making money off the other four. Sounds like the perfect outcome to me
Sounds like an end to 3rd Party Products to me, as they can no longer sell enough copies to offset expenses.
For example, Kobold Press' Wastes of Chaos Kickstarter: Wastes of Chaos: Enter the 5E Borderlands
$212,559 pledged of $50,000 goal. If it was for a system with a quarter as many players, that'd be a quarter of as many backers, or maybe $53,140. Just barely funded. No stretch goals. No buffer or extra money. Maybe no profit. Instead of running a 3PP as a business and being self-employed it would just be a hobby people do on the weekend.
The ORC is fixing that
Maybe.
Any licensed game won't be part of ORC. Big names like Free League and Modiphius and Reengage aren't involved. Really, ORC seems to be a bunch of micro-publishers and OGL publishers who will just keep doing what they were previously doing.
I don't see many of the top games being Open. If they didn't share their rules with the OGL or Creative Commons, they won't with ORC.

raniE

Adventurer
I’m not sure what would be sadder here, if this person actually believes this stuff and is just deluded, or if they’re being paid by Hasbro to go out on forums and try to convince people that this is already over actually and nothing you can do will have an effect, but also don’t try to have an effect because that would actually be bad.

The idea that I only need to care about the OGL if I still play current D&D when many games are tied to the OGL is also incredibly dumb.

mamba

Legend
It's not really a "boycott" if you're still playing the game and attracting new players to that game.

That's like boycotting McDonalds but still eating at the restaurant if someone else pays.
Why do you have the urge to tell everyone what they should do, including how they should protest what you want them to do in the first place...

Everyone is free to boycott however they feel like. If a table continues to play 5e and buy 3pp books but nothing from WotC, that does the important part, it cuts WotC off. If they move to another game instead, even better, but they are allies either way. The only ones who are not are guys like you who say we have to swallow whatever WotC is dishing out, for some greater good that seems to boil down to WotC's profit when you take a closer look.

Last edited:

Remove ads