OGL 1.2 survey is now live

Jer

Legend
Supporter
That last bullet is so key. Even if lawyers can debate over the first two, it's so obvious that they stepped on a third rail that they didn't even realize was there.

I was realizing the other day that the OGL has been around for 23 years. Which means there were people playing the game now who weren't even born before it existed. I mean, I knew that intellectually, but it just kind of clicked emotionally that there is an entire generation of gamers who have never known a D&D without it.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm wondering, or rather I should say hoping, if there's a pro-OGL "faction" within WotC management and if they might use the survey as a tool to try and push their view.
I would be very surprised if there weren't such a faction.

But let's not get too hung up on The Exact Right Way to engage. Those who fill out the survey send the signal to Wizards that there are folks willing to give them another chance if they change course. And those who walk away forever send the signal that Wizards is suffering lasting damage the longer this goes on.

The only people who are really not helping here are the people who are doing nothing at all. If you fill out the survey and push Wizards to do better, you're helping. If you cancel your DDB sub, you're helping. If you boycott, you're helping. If you spread the word online, you're helping.

I don't think Wizards is going to change course in the near term. But we have already seen them abandon the OGL and then return to it several years later. That could happen again.

TomBombadillo

First Post
As I’m sure you are aware, WotC has recently released a survey on OGL 1.2.

In response to this survey, Cint Group was prompted to host a similar survey. It is important to share unbiased data on this topic, which is why a third-party hosting it is important. The difference in the Cint Group survey is that the raw data will be made available to the public. The community deserves transparency. Open gaming should mean open surveys. Survey

Remove ads