OGL material from Wizards?

DragonSword

First Post
I don't know, but possibly because the Mind flayer and the beholder are the two main monsters associated with D&D - so WotC decided to make it very clear that they were off-limits. Maybe they were just forgotten about? The bottom line is, if its not in the SRD or designated OGC elsewhere then its off-limits.

DMH

First Post
Angellis_ater said:
Very possible, but that was why I raised this issue. Were the Slaad and Kua-Toa forgotten from the OGL or from the SRD?

No. They are property that WoTC wants to retain. If you desire to use them, you must ask WoTC permission. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't even bother and use existing OGC critters that fit those niches (how many fish people are there that are OGC?). Lion's Den and Ronin Arts (found on the latter's section of rpgnow) put out a product that did exactly that- made critters to fill the gaps of the SRD.

danzig138

Explorer
Angellis_ater said:
Very possible, but that was why I raised this issue. Were the Slaad and Kua-Toa forgotten from the OGL or from the SRD?
I cant' help but think that you're asking in the the wrong place. If you want to know if those creatures were simply forgotten, maybe you should contact WotC instead. Of course, I don't think it will matter, since even if they were intended for the SRD, they aren't in it.

Angellis_ater

First Post
I was asking here because this is the largest concentration of D&D gamers in the world and if anyone else had already asked the same question to WotC or anyone who knows then that person would likely be here. Thus, to keep from spamming Wizards and probably never getting a reply I thought I'd ask here to see if it had been asked earlier.

danzig138

Explorer
Angellis_ater said:
I was asking here because this is the largest concentration of D&D gamers in the world and if anyone else had already asked the same question to WotC or anyone who knows then that person would likely be here. Thus, to keep from spamming Wizards and probably never getting a reply I thought I'd ask here to see if it had been asked earlier.
It's not spam if it's a legitimate question, and although I've never contacted WotC about anything, from what I've seen, they are pretty good about answering people's questions. And you'd be getting it straight from the horse's mouth (what the heck does that expression mean anyway? Why would you want something from a horse's mouth?) . You might also try the d20 General board on the WotC site. I've seen good SRD answers on there before. Sometimes, even official ones. :) It probably has been asked on these boards before; do any of the posters to this thread have search access, and if so, would you feel like looking up this subject? I don't have search access because I'm broke (and cheap).

Michael Tree

First Post
Angellis_ater said:
Practically speaking, whether they omitted the Slaad and Kua-Toa from the SRD on purpose or by accident, the effect is the same: They're not OGL. The D&D rulebooks are utterly irrelevant to what is OGL. By the terms of the OGL contract, content is only open if it's in the SRD, or explicitly designated as open content in another book. Wizards doesn't have to designate an item PI to make it closed any more than it has to designate Star Wars RPG books or Pokemon cards PI to make them closed.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Angellis_ater said:

They were removed from the SRD on purpose.

I know this because I was authoring a book about Slaadi for a third party publisher at the time of the SRD release, having just finished on a book about Mind Flayers. The company was given permission to publish the mind flayer book (Unveiled Masters, the Essential Guide to Mind Flayers), but was told to kill the Slaad book because they wouldn't get permission to publish it.

Remove ads