D&D 5E Ogremoch's Bane - Out of the Abyss

randrak

First Post
So I'm running Out of the Abyss (kinda, just using bits and pieces) and the party will be facing ogremoch's bane next session. According to the book, the elemental cloud can only banished through two different spells that the party doesn't have (Level 6 Paladin, Barbarian and Druid). I feel that it doesn't really feel fair to not give them any way of handling the problem at all so does anyone have any interesting ways that they could defeat Ogremoch's Bane without making the bane into some kind of elemental and making it into a battle?

I skipped Ogremoch’s Bane, for much the same reason, but I think that either some sort of rite or MacGuffin they have to find could be inserted easily enough. Maybe there’s some sort of scroll, sacred object, or ancient spell gem lost in Rockblight?

kbrakke

First Post
With that make up you could run a skill challenge of sorts. The party would have to perform a series of skill checks of varying difficulties to perform a ritual to try and cleanse the cloud. Something like inscribing a runic circle, trapping it inside it, then channeling energy to dispel it. If the cloud has some elemental minions with it, it can make for a tense encounter.

My suggestion would be to allow the druid to research or know of a ritual to help.
Step 1 is to inscribe a runic circle 3 successes before two failures (Arcana DC 17/Nature DC 15/Religion DC 20) add two to the DC each time a given skill is used(So three nature checks are DC 15, DC 17 DC 19) Failure summons an earth elemental or something less nasty while also finishing the circle.
Step 2 would be to trap the cloud in the circle. It can either chase the players or they can lure it some how.
Step 3 is: once in the circle they can spend spell slots to attempt to dispel it (Casting Ability check + Spell Slot Level Burned, DC 16). If they do this and there are Earth Mephits or something harassing them it will force them to make choices. I can imagine the barbarian holding off an earth elemental while the druid is fumbling with some chalk and herbs trying to make the circle.

All numbers are subject to change, these are just rough tier 2 numbers off the top of my head. The skill split allows each character to have a reasonable chance of helping make the circle if they want to try and rush it. Otherwise I think with a few summons you have a cool brew going.

CapnZapp

Legend
You could have a look at the D&D Next adventure Reclaiming Blingdenstone. It introduces the idea that by finding and befriending the Pech, you would have a crucial ally in a fight against earth elemental creatures like the Bane.

randrak

First Post
With that make up you could run a skill challenge of sorts. The party would have to perform a series of skill checks of varying difficulties to perform a ritual to try and cleanse the cloud. Something like inscribing a runic circle, trapping it inside it, then channeling energy to dispel it. If the cloud has some elemental minions with it, it can make for a tense encounter.

My suggestion would be to allow the druid to research or know of a ritual to help.
Step 1 is to inscribe a runic circle 3 successes before two failures (Arcana DC 17/Nature DC 15/Religion DC 20) add two to the DC each time a given skill is used(So three nature checks are DC 15, DC 17 DC 19) Failure summons an earth elemental or something less nasty while also finishing the circle.
Step 2 would be to trap the cloud in the circle. It can either chase the players or they can lure it some how.
Step 3 is: once in the circle they can spend spell slots to attempt to dispel it (Casting Ability check + Spell Slot Level Burned, DC 16). If they do this and there are Earth Mephits or something harassing them it will force them to make choices. I can imagine the barbarian holding off an earth elemental while the druid is fumbling with some chalk and herbs trying to make the circle.

All numbers are subject to change, these are just rough tier 2 numbers off the top of my head. The skill split allows each character to have a reasonable chance of helping make the circle if they want to try and rush it. Otherwise I think with a few summons you have a cool brew going.
That's an amazing idea, but sadly my players seem to be hardwired to follow game mechanics over creative ideas like this. I do not see them coming up with this idea.

kbrakke

First Post
That's an amazing idea, but sadly my players seem to be hardwired to follow game mechanics over creative ideas like this. I do not see them coming up with this idea.

Just tell them this is what they need to do, but not the specific numbers. It doesn't need to be a secret. The tension comes from having to balance this ritual with attacking creatures.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I liked the presence of Ogremoch's bane in Blingdenstone, myself. I think it's beneficial for the verisimilitude of a game world to have some problems that are more long-term. It helps provide justification for why the Svirfneblin haven't reclaimed all of their city yet. Then again, I think GM's should occasionally (and sparingly) introduce overwhelmingly superior foes, encounters that are unwinnable by direct force, and occasions where the best course of action is to run. The concept that not everything can be solved with direct force leads to players being more apt to bargain, engage in diplomacy, and/or generally roleplay with antagonists in my experience.

plyrs

Explorer
I had a similar problem in my game. None of the PCs had any way of getting rid of it due to classes chosen. I simply changed it to be an extension of the medusa's will corrupted by the faezress. She could basically puppet any of the things she turned to stone and it went away when they beat her.

randrak

First Post
How about I make an earth elemental before they encounter anything else that is resisting the influence? The barbarian understands primordial and could translate a request from the elemental. He could give them the details to the ritual, asking them to send him back before the Bane takes him over. That way they would know the ritual is possible and if they are smart, could use the ritual later on against the Bane!

devincutler

Explorer
There is no reason the Bane has to be defeated. It is not required to complete any of the Blingdenstone quests and doesn't stop the overall adventure from proceeding. I think it is fine for there to be some obstacles that the PCs may not be able to solve or overcome. There are potential NPCs later in the scenario who can possibly come back and banish the Bane if it is really desired.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases