• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Okay, so *why* is EN World GM-centric?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Polls have regularly and consistently shown that EN World is far more popular with GMs than Players*. So, the question becomes why is that the case. Is it generally true of all gaming forums? Are dragonsfoot and rpg.net and the WotC forums also heavily GM sided? (has anyone done polls over there to find out?) Or is there something about EN World that draws DMs?

Without any actual evidence, I am inclined toward the former. With perhaps the exception of the official WotC forums, I would hazard a guess that mose gaming forums are frequented by GMs. Probably because GMing can be a lonely job -- lots more prep for the same amount of table time -- as well as communicating with others is a good way to spur ideas.

Thoughts?

* Well, strictly speaking these polls show that EN World GMs are more likely to answer polls about being a GM or player.

As far as the general forum and such goes yes. The forums for specific rulesets have more player related threads dealing with character concepts/ideas and build advice directly relevant to that system.

As for general, discussing campaign stuff provides a limited audience because the the only other people that can understand your perspective are other players in that campaign.

Agamon

Adventurer
GMs spend more time with the game and tend to think about the game and look for advice from like-minded individuals more often than players, I find.

With my groups, RPGs have been my hobby, but for most of my players, it's just a game.

At least in my experience, I think it might just be a result of GM's actively thinking about the game more when they're not playing. This isn't just because the actual tasks of being a GM require someone to seek out help on a forum, but because it is usually the most interested and involved person in the group who gets 'drafted' to be the GM.

In most mainstream RPGs, playing is definitely a more passive role than GMing. The GM has to know the rules fairly well, read or develop a campaign setting, and write or purchase adventures. The players just need to show up with a character and some pizza (and in cases where the players are very casual or new, it's usually the GM who helps them make their character and teaches them the ropes).

Someone interested (and invested) enough in the game to do all of those things is likely much more interested in talking about it online than the average player.

the Jester

Legend
By the nature of the role, GMs are those more inclined to be invested in the game: with money, time, and thought.

GMs spend more time with the game and tend to think about the game and look for advice from like-minded individuals more often than players, I find.

At least in my experience, I think it might just be a result of GM's actively thinking about the game more when they're not playing. This isn't just because the actual tasks of being a GM require someone to seek out help on a forum, but because it is usually the most interested and involved person in the group who gets 'drafted' to be the GM.

It's hard to be sure without actual data, but I'd wager that this is exactly it.

pawsplay

Hero
Not all players are lazy and apathetic, but anyone lazy and apathetic is going to be a player and not a GM. That's one place it could skew things.

Posting on message boards is an activity associated with a high level of commitment, which implies a high level of experience and investment, and those kinds of people are likely to be gravitate toward GMing because of the usefulness of their talents.

EN World is an outgrowth of a third edition news site. Among other things, that means a higher level of interest in the OGL, which implies a high level of interesting tinkering, which again skews toward GM.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I find that players aren't that worried about the same things that we GM's do. As GM's we discuss the rules and things that impact our games. I bet a lot of players read the forums but lurk more than post.

Remove ads