Old Gods of Appalachia

Randy J Mull

Explorer
The Appalachian Mountains extend from the southeastern US all the way up to Canada. But the borders of what you see in the map seem to reflect the boundaries as defined by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC). I do think that this was a somewhat controversial choice, because the ARC is less of a cultural map of the Appalachias, but, rather, it represents a government policy one oriented around rural poverty development. So there are areas outside of the Appalachian cultural regions that sought to be included in the ARC because it entitled them to additional government money for socio-economic development. You can see the differences in the map included in the spoilers below. The darker shades of red typically being considered the cultural core areas of Appalachia.
That said, this book provides an overview for six states in Appalachia: Pennsylvannia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. That's not every state that touches the Appalachian cultural area, as notably northern Georgis is missing, but it does cover most of the main ones. But that is clearly more than four states.

This is what it says:

So it only claims to be the heart of Appalachian North Carolina. Certainly debatable, but I do get where they are coming from, since Boone is the socio-economic center of the High Country region of the North Carolina Appalachias. (FYI, Western NC is broken up into three regions: High Country, Western, and Foothills. Me and most of my kin are from the Foothills.)

Now you claim that Boone is just "an outta the way minor college town," but that wasn't the case at all. Boone was and still is the county seat for Wataga County. Much as it says in the book above, Boone sat at an important railroad junction between Tweetsie Railroad and the Barrow & Locke trains, which connected a lot of trade up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains. This is the reason why Boone was selected for the site for a college for the purpose of training teachers for western North Carolina in 1899, which would eventually become Appalachian State University in 1967. (Both of my parents graduated from Appalachian State University in the late 1970s. ;)) Of course nowadays, when most people in western NC think of Tweetsie Railroad, we think of the small, but fairly fun amusement park of the same name, but Tweetsie was an important railway for the Blue Ridge Mountains until a flood in 1940 destroyed the tracks. But I can also understand if you think that it's outta the way, because nowadays Interstate 40 doesn't go through Boone, but, instead, it goes through Asheville, which is further south in Buncome County.*

By the way, if you ever go outta your way to no note Boone, I recommend going to the Daniel Boone Inn. There is a long line there, but I promise you that it's worth it for the family style meal. The food is excellent. Free refills on everything except the country-style ham biscuits.

* Interesting point of trivia: Buncome County is where the words "bunk" and "debunk" are derived, at least as the former pertains to nonsense. It's not a flattering origin. Let's just say that the House of Representatives thought that the then representative of Bumcombe County was speaking such nonsense that he may as well be speaking "bunkum."

I think that the book is not meant to detail all the interesting and lore rich parts of the Appalachian Mountains, but, rather, to represent the setting of the Old Gods of Appalachia podcast.

I agree that the map could be better at representing the Appalachian Mountains. Some places of interest in North Carolina, for example, are missing (e.g., Asheville) and some of the points of interest are slightly misplaced (e.g., Newland, which is depicted as due east from where I'm from in Burke County, but Newland's northwest of us and much closer to Boone). However, I suspect that this map may represent areas of interest for the podcast's Old Gods of Appalachia setting.
The Appalachian Mountains extend from the southeastern US all the way up to Canada. But the borders of what you see in the map seem to reflect the boundaries as defined by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC). I do think that this was a somewhat controversial choice, because the ARC is less of a cultural map of the Appalachias, but, rather, it represents a government policy one oriented around rural poverty development. So there are areas outside of the Appalachian cultural regions that sought to be included in the ARC because it entitled them to additional government money for socio-economic development. You can see the differences in the map included in the spoilers below. The darker shades of red typically being considered the cultural core areas of Appalachia.
That said, this book provides an overview for six states in Appalachia: Pennsylvannia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. That's not every state that touches the Appalachian cultural area, as notably northern Georgis is missing, but it does cover most of the main ones. But that is clearly more than four states.

This is what it says:

So it only claims to be the heart of Appalachian North Carolina. Certainly debatable, but I do get where they are coming from, since Boone is the socio-economic center of the High Country region of the North Carolina Appalachias. (FYI, Western NC is broken up into three regions: High Country, Western, and Foothills. Me and most of my kin are from the Foothills.)

Now you claim that Boone is just "an outta the way minor college town," but that wasn't the case at all. Boone was and still is the county seat for Wataga County. Much as it says in the book above, Boone sat at an important railroad junction between Tweetsie Railroad and the Barrow & Locke trains, which connected a lot of trade up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains. This is the reason why Boone was selected for the site for a college for the purpose of training teachers for western North Carolina in 1899, which would eventually become Appalachian State University in 1967. (Both of my parents graduated from Appalachian State University in the late 1970s. ;)) Of course nowadays, when most people in western NC think of Tweetsie Railroad, we think of the small, but fairly fun amusement park of the same name, but Tweetsie was an important railway for the Blue Ridge Mountains until a flood in 1940 destroyed the tracks. But I can also understand if you think that it's outta the way, because nowadays Interstate 40 doesn't go through Boone, but, instead, it goes through Asheville, which is further south in Buncome County.*

By the way, if you ever go outta your way to no note Boone, I recommend going to the Daniel Boone Inn. There is a long line there, but I promise you that it's worth it for the family style meal. The food is excellent. Free refills on everything except the country-style ham biscuits.

* Interesting point of trivia: Buncome County is where the words "bunk" and "debunk" are derived, at least as the former pertains to nonsense. It's not a flattering origin. Let's just say that the House of Representatives thought that the then representative of Bumcombe County was speaking such nonsense that he may as well be speaking "bunkum."

I think that the book is not meant to detail all the interesting and lore rich parts of the Appalachian Mountains, but, rather, to represent the setting of the Old Gods of Appalachia podcast.

I agree that the map could be better at representing the Appalachian Mountains. Some places of interest in North Carolina, for example, are missing (e.g., Asheville) and some of the points of interest are slightly misplaced (e.g., Newland, which is depicted as due east from where I'm from in Burke County, but Newland's northwest of us and much closer to Boone). However, I suspect that this map may represent areas of interest for the podcast's Old Gods of Appalachia setting.
You are right it cover six states not four and Boone was the heart of WNC was my bad but otherwise my options remain the same. Leaving out North Georgia in particular was beyond ignorant in my opinion with its rich lore. I wrote that while at work without access to the book to refrence so I was drawing on the read through from a couple of weeks ago and that was my bad.

Your summary of Boone was spot on as a transit hub but otherwise I still stand by it not being anywhere near of being the Heart of the region. And I to am well versed in the history of the area. My family imigrated through Burke on their way to North Georgia Mountains in the early to mid 1700s.

Hello from McDowell county.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Does any of the story take place in North Georgia? If not then it doesn't really need to be there out of some sense of completeness. You can only have so much in any one book and the focus is going to be on the locations from the podcast.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
You are right it cover six states not four and Boone was the heart of WNC was my bad but otherwise my options remain the same. Leaving out North Georgia in particular was beyond ignorant in my opinion with its rich lore. I wrote that while at work without access to the book to refrence so I was drawing on the read through from a couple of weeks ago and that was my bad.

Your summary of Boone was spot on as a transit hub but otherwise I still stand by it not being anywhere near of being the Heart of the region. And I to am well versed in the history of the area. My family imigrated through Burke on their way to North Georgia Mountains in the early to mid 1700s.

I live smack dab in the middle of tn, nc, va, ky. Can travel to any in about an hour or less. I’ve never once considered northern Georgia a part of this region - though maybe I should learn more about that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

It might be useful to remember that this is the Old Gods of Appalachia RPG, not the “Asventures In Appalachia: a Guide To The Weird, the Dark, and the Enigmatic, in the Appalachia Region”.

The book doesn’t go to Georgia, the podcast isn’t set there, so it’s not described in the book. That doesn’t imply that it doesn’t exist or isn’t part of Appalachia.

Randy J Mull

Explorer
Does any of the story take place in North Georgia? If not then it doesn't really need to be there out of some sense of completeness. You can only have so much in any one book and the focus is going to be on the locations from the podcast.
The Appalachian trail which lies entirely within the mountains of Appalachia snd passes through 14 states starting in Georgia and ending in Maine. While there wasn't a need to cover detailed information on all of these it was very disingenuous to claim that Appalachia was just in six states.

There was lost opportunity here to point people to the wider regions of Appalachia lore and adventures to be had for the price of rewording a couple of paragraphs on the introduction to these mountains and their peoples.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Appalachian trail which lies entirely within the mountains of Appalachia snd passes through 14 states starting in Georgia and ending in Maine. While there wasn't a need to cover detailed information on all of these it was very disingenuous to claim that Appalachia was just in six states.
I don’t understand the continued conflation of geographically Appalachian with culturally Appalachian.

There was lost opportunity here to point people to the wider regions of Appalachia lore and adventures to be had for the price of rewording a couple of paragraphs on the introduction to these mountains and their peoples.
When most of the regions you mention weren’t culturally Appalachian i don’t know why it would be reasonable to include them.

I'm currently in Helen, GA, unable to sleep due to an ancient entity growling from the other side of my hotel room, taking the shape of a withered woman crowned in laurels.

And in those brief moments where the slouching crone ceases her lamentable moans, even then I cannot rest . . . because my mom pees five times a night and she grumbles and curses the whole way to the bathroom and back.

Seriously, this is supposed to be a vacation, but I've gotten only two hours of sleep. I feel trapped in my hotel room, unable to muster the strength to go outside and push my mom in her wheelchair about the seemingly quaint town, but also unable to rid myself of this maternal burden so I can try to slumber.

I fear my only choice is madness.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah I don’t think it does, and even some of what is detailed is more where some folks come from than anything else, with Barrow and Locke being based in Pennsylvania. Which does make me hope they put out a supplement going into the rest of Appalachia.
I grew up in N Ga right where Ga, NC, an TN meet and I can promise you it was deep Appalachian.
Having said what I said upthread, I see no reason that they shouldn’t put out a supplement about GA and some of its specific haints and whatever else.

Randy J Mull

Explorer
I don’t understand the continued conflation of geographically Appalachian with culturally Appalachian.

When most of the regions you mention weren’t culturally Appalachian i don’t know why it would be reasonable to include them.
Please tell me how the people who live in these mountains for generations are not culturally Appalachian or how that is collating culture with geography? How are they not culturally mountain folk?

Are you from these regions or understand the migration patterns that the people who inhabited them followed?

Different branches of my family started in the Appalachian mountains of Pennsylvania and traved south to the mountains of Ga, other came north from South Carolina, others west from the coast of North Carolina. But they were all Scott/Irish, German, and English who fled to the mountains and settled there.

My cousins and friends didn't considered me culturally different because I lived 20 miles south of them over a state line nor did any of us consider our family who lived in the northern Appalachia less kin or less mountain folk because of some state line.

Being Appalachian is being mountain folk and there are variations on that cultural by region and state but many of the old families who have been here in these mountains before this was a country have kin from the northern states all the way to the southern ends of Appalachia and we don't view each other as any lesser culturally because of what sate or region we live in.

Remove ads