OLD Magic Question

I have not really looked at how PCs compare at high grade marks, but at low grades the "problem" (and I put it in quotes because it might not be one) is that it's trivially easy to put together a physical melee fighter with 4d6+X damage.

This is actally something you find in many girtty games, as something of a nod to realism. In the real world people can and have died from one punch. This is just part of the default assumptions in WOIN not being Heroic High Fantasy. So combat can be brutal. Even then Woin is still genereous when compared to other point buy Systems like GURPS where healing is even slower, and there are rules for maiming injuries.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Also, i feel like woin was built specifically against the concept of combat being the be all end all of the game. A starting mage has lower damage than a starring warrior, but the mage has much higher utility.

Sent from my SM-G920P using EN World mobile app

Khaalis

Adventurer
Brings up a question though. Has any thought been put into how to add a Magic Dial to the system for those who may want to use the system but have magic be a bit closer to High Magic than Low Magic?

EDIT: Never mind. I found p156 in OLD where it goes into some of the dials that can be set.

However, different question. Has any thought gone into developing other types of Magic from the Elements of Magic system, say a shamanic spirit based system?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
However, different question. Has any thought gone into developing other types of Magic from the Elements of Magic system, say a shamanic spirit based system?

Only vaguely. My writing overload is pretty high right now. If somebody else picked up that ball and ran with it, it would exciting to see what they did.

Remove ads