WOIN OLD Magic spread effects and concentration

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Hi there,
I'm starting another group, this time its OLD; so I have to get into the magic systems.
I got several questions so far;

- If I want to use damage over time / healing over time, do I have to use spread duration?

- How could a concentracion spell with hot/dot be done?

-Is it possible to cause burn without a crit?

-Is it possible to remove persistant conditions?

MacD

It's been a long time sinne I didn't got an answer on a question around here;
did someone steal morrus or is there really nobody who wants to answer / knows about it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Didn't see it. Sorry. Been up to my neck interviewing and hiring ENP's two new publishing administrators.

Yes, you'd need to spread the duration.

Duration, spread. Effects can be spread over a period of time rather than happening instantly. For example 10d6 damage could be 10d6 damage in one round, or 1d6 damage per round for 10 rounds. You may divide these damage dice (or ability drain, aging, and other effects) however you choose across the spell’s duration. If you divide the effect evenly across the duration of a spell, you gain a –1 MP discount on the spell cost for every 3 rounds of duration (note that 10 rounds or less is equal to one minute and has no duration cost itself, so this is a pure saving). You cannot reduce the cost of the damage or effect to less than half its normal cost, however.

Persistent conditions last for the duration.

You can make the condition persistent (can’t be shaken off) by doubling the condition’s cost. This doesn’t preclude other methods of escape or block exploits that can be used to remove conditions.

Concentration isn't the same as duration. As written you wouldn't be able to spread damage with concentration as you don't know in advance how long that duration would be.

MacD

Hi morrus,
Thank you 😊

To be honest - your customer service is that good so I've been more worrying than angry about the missing answer 😆

Do I get it right that damage from creation is over time for the whole duration?
No cumulative MP cost?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
To be honest - your customer service is that good so I've been more worrying than angry about the missing answer 😆
I mean, generally all I do is just look it up in the book for you. :)
Do I get it right that damage from creation is over time for the whole duration?
No cumulative MP cost?
I'm not sure I understand the question?

MacD

I mean, generally all I do is just look it up in the book for you. :)

I'm not sure I understand the question?
You know the meaning of your rules better than me ;-)

Creation magic can do damage, but is limited to 1 / 1d6 damage.
Is it possible to write a concentration damage spell that way, creating some burning space for the duration?

Remove ads