• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old problems, still around

Quasqueton

First Post
Every now and then I see a thread here with a DM or Player requesting help with a situation in their game that shows the poster is probably very new to the game/hobby. Some of the questions/problems are things that I haven't even thought about in a couple decades.

Old PC giving new PC (of same Player) all their magic and money. [A thread on the front page here asks about this.]

New PC coming into the game with an old PC grudge against another old PC.

How to split up party treasure. [A thread on the front page a few days ago asks about this.]

How to handle rules lawyers -- "The DM is the final arbiter." [There is always a thread around about this.]

Players should not be reading the DMG. (Is this in the current DMG? I haven't seen it, but I also haven't specifically looked for it.)

What to do about the PCs having too much magic.

Monty Haul campaigns.

DMs acting like they were gods toying with the PCs.

Etc.

I remember having the above problems many years ago. I remember reading warnings, advice, and solutions to these problems in various game books and magazines 20+ years ago, just like I see the advice in books, magazines, and discussion forums today. It is interesting to see that some problems have always, and will always exist in RPGs.

For those of you with years of experience, what are some problems that you had with gaming years ago that you don't even think about now adays? Things that surprise you to learn not *everyone* knows to avoid them. What are some problems you hear of now that make you chuckle, remembering that you had to deal with the same things 20+ years ago?

Maybe they were things that are just a part of being 13 years old, playing with other 13 year olds, in a completely new game concept (RPGs)?

I wonder if folks who got into the game at a later age had to deal with things like new PCs coming in wanting to attack another PC because of an old PC grudge?

[This thread has nothing to do with any particular game, nor any particular edition. This is just about veterans looking back on rookie problems in RPGs as a genre.]

Quasqueton

Shade

Monster Junkie
Keeping track of rations.

Every time I start a new campaign (either as a player or a DM), I vow to keep better track of rations. Invariably, it is one of the first things forgotten and doesn't come up again.

Vorput

First Post
Shade said:
Keeping track of rations.

Every time I start a new campaign (either as a player or a DM), I vow to keep better track of rations. Invariably, it is one of the first things forgotten and doesn't come up again.

So very, very true... Then occasionally it is mentioned 5 or 6 sessions in... and you want to care, you know you should care, and yet you continue to ignore it...

Quasqueton said:
For those of you with years of experience, what are some problems that you had with gaming years ago that you don't even think about now adays? Things that surprise you to learn not *everyone* knows to avoid them. What are some problems you hear of now that make you chuckle, remembering that you had to deal with the same things 20+ years ago?

How to speed up combat.

How to apportion treasure fairly.

How to get PCs to stay in character.

How to stop people from cheating with their dice.*

There's many others that are still problems though, that bear talking about. So I can't include them on the list.

*Let me tell you - today's dice technology is fantastic. Hand someone a three inch diameter d20** and tell them to roll on the table. There's no fudging. None. Nada. Zip. Zero.

**Plus the darned thing is like a guided missile if you need to hurl it at someone. It would hurt!

Oryan77

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
For those of you with years of experience, what are some problems that you had with gaming years ago that you don't even think about now adays?

"How am I going to DM all night long without falling asleep at the table?" This isn't a problem anymore because we just can't game all night long like we used to. Well I could because I'm a trooper, but the other old bags in my group can barely keep going after 9PM.

sniffles

First Post
I haven't been playing as long as some of you, and I didn't start when is was 13, or 23 (I was 32, if you're interested). Luckily I started with a group of mature, experienced players who'd already gone through all of that stuff, so I didn't have to experience any of it. It amazes me when I see people talking about some of those questions. Why on earth would anyone fight about treasure division? Why would they carry grudges from PC to PC or campaign to campaign? :confused: ;)

Actually, the biggest issue I can think of is the one Oryan 77 mentions. We're all getting older, and I'm the oldest in my group!

ThirdWizard

First Post
How to go against player expectations without appearing adversarial and how to compromise before the players even realize an issue has come up. How to pick up on what players want without them actually bringing it up. Of course, part of that comes from knowing the people.

How to make shy and reserved people roleplay with the rest of us (an ongoing learning experience).

Learning when to pull in the reigns and when to let the players loose upon the world, also known as pacing and "ebb and flow" of the game.

loki44

Explorer
Paladin issues. This class has always seemed to cause the most controversy. Paladins and their alignment.....how many times has that one been hashed over? Unless you're playing a game devoid of alignments, every PC and NPC has one. Why is it always such an issue only with the Paladin? Because their alignment is mandated? Druids don't seem to be plagued by the same controversy.

Death. There are rules that explain at precisely what point one is dead. Nonetheless everyone seems to have their house rule. Death and dying surely must've spawned more house rules than any other aspect of the game.

Somewhat related to rations.....encumbrance. Same situation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads