OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

darjr

I crit!
Old School Essentials is increasingly intriguing to me. I know it's a B/X clone but the new art and layout are kinda amazing. There is an impending kickstarter for the Classic Game Set box and the Advanced box. Note that Necrotic Gnome has said they have something special for those that back in the first 24 hours. As of now the signup page hit 2000 interested!

OSE boxes.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 7.47.27 PM.png

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Oh dagnabbit!
I've been eyeing OSE lately, too. But I've also promised myself to give the kickstarters a rest for a while. I went ahead and sign up to be notified. But what to do, what to do, what to do when it starts?
Oh dagnabbit!

I'm probably going in on this even though I've already backed the Advanced Fantasy and I have the rule books for both OSE Advanced and Classic Fantasy.

I will back it and keep the boxes for when my daughter is old enough. My parents bought me the Mentzer RedBox when I was 10, I should pay it forward.

I've been hoping for the return of the RPG box set.
Something that turns D&D away from the intimidating 'college level course' level of preparation idea and the idea that it is something only for dedicated experts who pour over rules tomes and turns it closer to something where you can open the box and play some D&D on family game night.

Especially with a game like OSE, there's no need for there to be this myth of daunting complexity surrounding the game.

D&D should be: open the box, pull out something similar to what Inkwell Ideas are doing with its Dungeonmorphs and Encounter Book, roll some characters up and go at it for an evening. It should be possible to go from finishing up dishes after dinner to exploring a dungeon in the same amount of time it takes to set up a game of Monopoly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've been hoping for the return of the RPG box set.
Something that turns D&D away from the intimidating 'college level course' level of preparation idea and the idea that it is something only for dedicated experts who pour over rules tomes and turns it closer to something where you can open the box and play some D&D on family game night.

Especially with a game like OSE, there's no need for there to be this myth of daunting complexity surrounding the game.

D&D should be: open the box, pull out something similar to what Inkwell Ideas are doing with its Dungeonmorphs and Encounter Book, roll some characters up and go at it for an evening. It should be possible to go from finishing up dishes after dinner to exploring a dungeon in the same amount of time it takes to set up a game of Monopoly.
Um, I dunno when the last time you were in Target was, but they have two such big sets already for D&D that sell like hot cakes.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
This is so tempting just for the quality of the books. I got the advanced fantasy Player’s and Referee’s Tomes when they showed up on Exalted Funeral along with all the adventures and zines. They’re so nice.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I've largely ignored OSE over the past few years as I already have plenty of "clones" (in addition to the originals). But these box sets look awesome!
(Just when I'd sworn off kickstarter...)

Remove ads