Old school paperback covers.

jthorenzart

Villager
Hi all,
I am a fantasy/sci fi illustrator. I love the old paperback covers from back in the day was wondering if anybody would like to drop there favorites. Currently gathering a personal collection. I started working in this style a week back ago and want to start doing commission work for peoples characters in this style.

Here is my stuff- more of my work at jthorenzart.com
Border Paperback with hero.jpg
Nurble 2.jpg
Corben LR.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg

A old artist I just found out about but am in love with is Frank kelly Freas
51TVE5ZW45L._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
You can find a lot of the art on Pinterest if you search.

A useful thing I have found is to look for 'Daw yellow spine SF covers'--it was a pulp publisher (still extant today) specializing in sf and fantasy that introduced a lot of Gen-Xers and Boomers to these genres, and in the early years (the 70s with the yellow spine backs) had many covers of this type.

jthorenzart

Villager
You can find a lot of the art on Pinterest if you search.

A useful thing I have found is to look for 'Daw yellow spine SF covers'--it was a pulp publisher (still extant today) specializing in sf and fantasy that introduced a lot of Gen-Xers and Boomers to these genres, and in the early years (the 70s with the yellow spine backs) had many covers of this type.
Oh Yeah my Pinterest board is filled with the stuff. It has been an amazing resource. Thank you for the heads up on DAW. Just looked them up, and found some pretty neat covers =)

Love this! my favorite part is definitely the focal point. not only for the beautiful contrast of value but that gritty spotty texture. makes me think of when someone leaves a cup on top of a piece of paper and it keeps it white underneath if something is spilled. also reminds me of a background to one of Gerald Broms Paintings
unnamed.jpg

jthorenzart

Villager
I landed a commission from the author of the children's book series I did the proposal for in my previous post . Posting the two variations I did, and also pictures from along the way. This piece was a lot of fun to create especially the hair.

Gold Orange Hair.jpg

Kip less curls.jpg

Kip progression .jpg

jthorenzart

Villager
Recent character commission I completed. I really enjoyed painting her mantle armor! It was also a ton of fun working with a picture drawn by the client to work with. One of the elements that I find most rewarding working in illustration is to be able to bring a persons wonderful idea and building upon it to bring our eyes closer to his or her vision.

I have also recently painted a goblin wearing a huge patchy fury jacket! You can see it on the front page of my website, Jthorenzart.com

Atla illustration Sample.jpg

Atla Progress.jpg

jthorenzart

Villager
Wanted to have some SCIFI in my portfolio so I created this piece, This is a character from a personal story I am working on.

9y66n7vn8zb61.jpg

A little about him

Nurmon is a space dude, a bad space dude. A silent terror for any rebel squad he walks toward. He Lumbers with wide shoulders, a gargantuan silhouette. While his strength can crush he forgoes giving his adversaries the sweet release from the hell that has become planet Zeta. On the battlefield he performs a twisted transformation of ones flesh and bone. Creating a malformed horde of sycophants who wish only to prove there strength. His Origin is unknown to the rebels, all they know is his defeat is a prime objective to winning planet Zeta back.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases