D&D 5E Old settings coming back?

Abstruse

Legend
They really don't have anything in common, do they? Would you combine mythic Greece and Vikings in an European book or Celts and Seminole in an Atlantic Ocean themed book? :)

And that's why they won't throw Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur into one setting. They also have to be careful about those settings in general because, frankly, they get a wee big close to the racist side of cultural insensitivity at times.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I thought I remember reading somewhere Arneson got the rights back sometime around the end of TSR. Might be misremembering something.
I think you may be confusing Blackmoor with Mystara.

If I'm remembering correctly, WotC gave Dave Arneson permission (not sure if it was as formal as a licence, per se) to release d20 Blackmoor products, which indeed happened. There was even a 4e compatible Blackmoor campaign setting published in 2009, although I suspect that was released after Arneson's death.

I think that the rights to Blackmoor may have now reverted to WotC. I'm not sure about that, but there don't seem to have been any new Blackmoor products released by anyone since 2009.

bigrobbie45

First Post
Glad to hear that WoTC may be approaching other setting designers!

In addition to the Forgotten Realms, The 5 setting i'd like to see would be;

Greyhawk
Dragonlance
Eberron
Dark Sun
Mystara

With expansion options including;

Nentir Vale (as default setting)
Planescape (as Manuals of the Plane supplement)
Spelljammer (as Manuals of the Plane supplement)
Ravenloft (as Shadowfell supplement)
Maztica (as Forgotten Realms supplement)
Kara-Tur (as Forgotten Realms supplement)
Al-Quadim (as Forgotten Realms supplement)

Maybe just the core details.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
They really don't have anything in common, do they? Would you combine mythic Greece and Vikings in an European book or Celts and Seminole in an Atlantic Ocean themed book? :)
... yes? Greece, Vikings, and Medieval Europe *IS* D&D in every sense of the word... to me, anyway.

They DID combine many pantheons of the "real world" in the 1e Legends & Lore, and then again in the Deities & Demigods of 3e...

And the old Mystara setting was pretty much every Earthly culture slammed together.

adamc

First Post
Unless they are licensing them so that third-parties can work on them, I don't think I care. I haven't been that impressed with WoTC's own work on settings over the life of 4e.

dwayne

Adventurer
Always thought spelljammer was just dumb, if I want space will do a sci fi, but whatever. Think greyhawk would be a great move due to was the fist setting and all the wanting to get back to the basics would draw in the older die hard crowd if done right. Darksun another setting that needs some love and would also draw in a lot of the gaming community. Would love a planescape not dragonlance or the others due to been way overdone. I would like a new setting but not too far out the standard type such as eberron was, A dark horror setting with the heroes trying to survive. I have a personal setting which have been developing over 30 years but not posting any thing about it here its posted else where.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases