• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old Spell Paths and Create Spells

Conundrum time.

EoM's strengths lies in its flexibility, and this is most obvious in the Create spell lists. In comparison, 3x has two 'create an object' spell {Minor creation 4th level, and Major creation at 5th level} which are roughly comparable to Create Nature and Create everything else respectively.

In play, EoM Create spells were rarely signature spells since you were never sure what it was you would be creating. So these spells were used out of combat to create ramps to get over walls, cooking utensils for dinner, canoes, clothes, and a wide variety of other things.

With OLD going to using Spell Paths, which are essentially a list of signature spells, you either lose that flexibility or gain too much by either ruling that the create spell has to be predesigned or by ruling that you can have a spell path that has things like 'cast this spell and create any object that values less than 250 gp'

I have some thoughts as to what could be done, which I will share here, but am very interested on other takes on the question.

Simulacrum: The spell does read as 'cast this spell and create any object that values less than 250 gp', however a material component is a sketch, diagram, or model that was drawn/created by the caster. If you don't have the proper sketch of the object, you can not create the object.

The magician can draw up a hasty sketch when in dire need, but its better to have a satchel of sketches or model. You could add that the quality of the sketch/model affect the quality of the created object.

Schema: The spells reads 'create this specific object', but the Spell Path starts with the spell below:

Transcribe Object said:
1MP.
Spend 10 minutes examining an object that you can touch and fits within a 10' x 10' area. At the end of that time this spell path gains a spell that enables you to create the object. You have to decide the duration and other aspects of the spell at that time.

The magician then adds to his or her library of potential objects as they adventure. Higher level versions of Transcribe Object allow for larger objects and/or examining from a distance.

Verbal Description: The spell reads 'cast this spell and create any object that values less than 250 gp' but there is a verbal component requirement of stating what the item is, looks like, and can do. Basically instead of saying 'I create a trebuchet', the magician has to describe the object and its desired functionality.
{in play I think this would turn into a player stating that their character describes a trebuchet...}

Mix and Match: Creation spell paths could include any of those options

What do you think?

dekrass

Explorer
I think of those ideas I favor drawing schematics, but any of those have the problem of drastically changing how a spell path works.

I think of those ideas I favor drawing schematics, but any of those have the problem of drastically changing how a spell path works.

Yes, and no. The spell path mechanic alters how the spell creation/casting works.

The question boils down to this. Do I have a 'create farming tool' spell or do I have a 'create shovel', 'create pick-axe', 'create rake', etc....
And if the former, how do we avoid the 'Create any object' type of spell?

Or do we have a 'Create on the fly' spell that takes 1 minute to cast, allowing the caster to still have the flexibility in what they create.

From my group the Druid had developed a Create Nature spell that raised a wooden fortress wall with stairs, archer walkway, and crenellations, useful in preparing for combat.

Remove ads