• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On a Spider's Advice...

Kelleris

Explorer
The shielded area is a fair distance away, so you all (presumably) take care to gear up properly before leaving. Stepping out of Skaith's tavern room, the noise of the city hits you, especially noticeable after having waited so long quietly indoors.

You set off, making your way through Dromus's back-alleys, guided by Key's and Tyndra's knowledge of the city and what maps you can scavenge. After spending the better part of the morning walking, you arrive at your destination in the early afternoon.

Said destination turns out to be a ramshackle cluster of buildings, roughly one city block. Judging from the architectural style this area is fairly old, and judging from the silence of the streets not as active as it once was. Many of the smaller residences appear to be boarded up and disused, though there are still signs of life in four larger buildings.

One of these buildings, a sprawling structure that takes up an entire street corner, features a gaudily-painted sign that catches your eye immediately. The sign reads simply "Madame Elsanna: Services Rendered." There are no customers entering or exiting at the moment.

There also appears to be a small stone chapel wedged into the usual wooden buildings, further down the street. It is not dedicated to any immediately recognizable Proxy, though there is an emblem inlaid into the sturdy wooden door - a half-closed blue eye encircled by iron bars woven into a kind of wreath. (Knowledge (religion) if you've got it.)

You next spot the only person on this quiet Droman street; an old woman sitting in a rocking chair in front of her dilapidated home. She is taking up a position across the street from the chapel and a few doors closer to you. Despite the shabbiness of her surroundings, she is whistling a jaunty air through dry lips. She pays you no attention.

The final immediately-obvious landmark is actually something you've seen before, but on a closer look it has some strange features. Somewhere just beyond the row of houses on your right is an enormous iron spike that juts at least a hundred feet in the air. Having spent some time in the city, you all recognize this for what it is - a landmark designed to be visible above the houses. With the portals and ever-changing streets of Dromus such spikes were erected to help guide travelers. This particular specimen glows with a faint red-orange light at its peak, as though the signaling spells on the tower have worn down over time. Looking more carefully at it, you also realize that what first appeared to be simple graffiti actually forms a vague pattern of sorts. You cannot read what is written from here, however.

Somewhere in this area someone is hiding something. It may be in one of the obvious places, or it may be in one of the anonymous abandoned homes that take up almost half of the street. What do you do?

Kelleris

Explorer
OOC : I assume you mean the spoilered information in this post? To quote myself, "you have no real idea whether or not the location is within the city or in the dangerous outlands." I wasn't sure which to go with at the time, frankly, but after looking over everyone's character sheets, you guys seem to be more urban than wilderness. Especially Keys and Tyndra. Especially Keys. It just wouldn't be fair to Ferrix not to give him an opportunity to cat-burgle something. :) (Not guaranteeing that he will or will want to, of course, that sort of thing just happens more out here.)

I also can't figure out what kinds of motivations would interest your characters. Tyndra seems to be overly curious, Keys greedy, and Skaith perpetually hungry, but that's about all that I could glean from your character backgrounds. What kinds of things would get your characters' dander up?

Ferrix

Explorer
OOC: Cat-burgle, who would have thought that character with the Prof. Thief PrC would want to do such a thing. On the motivation side of things, Keys isn't generally willing to stick her neck out except either if she has to just to survive, it's worth the calculated risk (generally wealth wise) or if she sees a case of degradation, particularly against someone who was similar to her when she was young.

Kelleris

Explorer
Ah, that helps then. Give me a bit longer and I'll see what I can rustle up.

Ferrix said:
Cat-burgle, who would have thought that character with the Prof. Thief PrC would want to do such a thing.

See, I expect a "heh, just kidding" smiley here. Don't see one. Paranoia sets in... :uhoh: I mean, are you trying to say I'm having an attack of obviousness? :eek: You callin' me stupid!? :mad:

:)p)

Last edited:

Ashy

First Post
OOC: As far as Skaith is concerned, anything new is the driving force - anything unexpereinced or exciting, as that keeps his mind off the eternally gnawing hunger in his gut. Basically, any adventure you can toss as him, so long as it does not bog down or stagnate. Perfect setup for a DM, wouldn't you say? ;)

Ferrix

Explorer
Keys eyes the area with the surety of her profession, gleaning what she can from the surroundings in a swift perceptual scan. The scrawling establishment Elsanna's, the small temple, the old lady, the abandoned buildings, everything, gets a pass over or three from her dark brown eyes.

"So wasted, let's see what's in these skiffs."

Rolls: [sblock]Anything I know about the area? -> Knowledge (local) 15
Anything more precise? -> Perception 25 *take 10[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads