D&D 2E On AD&D 2E

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
I really loved the "realistic" style of Elmore, Easley and Clydewell.
I would add Jim Holloway to that list, especially regarding his full color pieces.

Jim-Holloway-art-feat.jpg

Jahydin

Hero
AD&D 2E was the edition I started with in grade school, so will always be special to me.

Now that I've gotten to deep dive into all the editions, I think it sits in a weird space between 1 and 3. It wants so badly to tell heroic tales like the novels, but uses the exact "made for dungeon crawling with random heroes" rules as before. What you get is a game that feels pretty clunky and relies heavily on GMs "greasing the wheels" to get things going. Or a "too young to care about doing it right" attitude that I had when playing it, so maybe only used 40% rules correctly.

Castles and Crusades is currently the game that runs the closest to how I was running my AD&D games anyways, so using that at the moment. But I still have quite a few 2e books, because the artwork is the most "D&D" D&D has ever been IMO, haha.

AD&D 2E was the edition I started with in grade school, so will always be special to me.

Now that I've gotten to deep dive into all the editions, I think it sits in a weird space between 1 and 3. It wants so badly to tell heroic tales like the novels, but uses the exact "made for dungeon crawling with random heroes" rules as before. What you get is a game that feels pretty clunky and relies heavily on GMs "greasing the wheels" to get things going. Or a "too young to care about doing it right" attitude that I had when playing it, so maybe only used 40% rules correctly.

Castles and Crusades is currently the game that runs the closest to how I was running my AD&D games anyways, so using that at the moment. But I still have quite a few 2e books, because the artwork is the most "D&D" D&D has ever been IMO, haha.
Yeah, C&C feels to me like how 2e was actually played, at least in memory, than my re-read of the ugly 2e PHB revealed.

Kai Lord

Hero
Because of my own play history, I tend to think of 1e and 2e as a continuum.
Yeah. I think for me since I'm primarily a Dragonlance guy I consider AD&D to be one single edition from 1977 up to about 1994 or so. The Revised 2.5 AD&D Rulebooks (with Combat & Tactics/Skills & Powers) and Dragonlance SAGA rules which all kicked in around the same time feel like a departure to me.

Yeah. I think for me since I'm primarily a Dragonlance guy I consider AD&D to be one single edition from 1977 up to about 1994 or so. The Revised 2.5 AD&D Rulebooks (with Combat & Tactics/Skills & Powers) and Dragonlance SAGA rules which all kicked in around the same time feel like a departure to me.
I would agree with that (even though I liked the SAGA rules).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases