On Behavioral Realism

MGibster

Legend
The characters live in a very different world from us. In real life, there is some sort of meaningful benefit to taking a bath every now and then. It might be hard to quantify, but it makes you feel better. There's a good reason for you to act in this way.

I gotta think basic hygiene is just one of the many things that isn't specifically covered in most game books for two reasons: Hygiene just isn't where the story is focused and because of the limitations imposed by time and the print medium you can't have rules for every conceivable situation. Not even GURPS can do that. (That's right, GURPS! I'm calling you out.) It's just assumed that characters take care of their equipment, go to the bathroom, and groom themselves and this isn't something we need detailed in the rules.

Sadras

Legend
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. it is interesting that many suggestions so far endorse punitive methods to encourage such behavior. I usually try and stay away for stick-based motivation in gaming simply because it makes things less fun for everyone, including me as GM who has to play the heavy.

A carrot-idea you can maybe expand on or maybe give you inspiration for something else

Lifestyle Expenses (Page 157 PHB)
Modest 1 GP = +2 temp hit points
Comfortable 2 GP = +4 temp hit points
Wealthy 4 GP = +5 temp hit points, and an additional +5 temp hit points after your 1st short rest
Aristocrat 10 GP = +5 temp hit points, and an additional +5 temp hit point after each short rest of the day

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just figure that anyone who wants to be an adventurer has to be some level of insane, kind of like how we think of a lot of modern superheroes. Or Patrick Bateman.

"Do you like kender? A lot of people don't, but I feel like most people simply read about the exploits of Tasslehoff Burrfoot and maybe a heard a third-hand story or two and made up their minds. But while the initial portrayals lent themselves to stereotypes, there was a lot of nuance involved in regards to their inability to fully be in control of themselves, with their inherent kleptomania, wanderlust, and inability to feel fear. It was almost as though they relied on the party dynamic to provide the discipline that they themselves were incapable of generating, forming an underlying linchpin that allows the party to congeal in a way it never would have otherwise. Oh, Regdar? TRY GETTING A RESERVATION IN WATERDEEP NOW YOU STUPID BASTARD!!!"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The characters live in a very different world from us. In real life, there is some sort of meaningful benefit to taking a bath every now and then. It might be hard to quantify, but it makes you feel better. There's a good reason for you to act in this way.

In the game world, that benefit doesn't exist. It isn't the case that the players are imagining it poorly, or acting out-of-character. It's just a different world, that works in different ways. In the game world, a bath doesn't make you feel better. And given that, the players are acting in a way that makes sense for their world.

Perhaps you in your game this is true, but it's not true in the game as written. While there is nothing that says that they do stink, there is also nothing that says that PCs will not stink if they don't take baths. There's nothing that says that they don't go to the bathroom daily. And so on.

The game leaves this out, probably because many people don't enjoy roleplaying these sorts of mundane details and just assumes that they happen off screen. Regardless, it's up to the DM and players to have these sorts of things played out or not.

If you choose to have the world be strange and weird, removing them as some sort of physical difference from ours, that's fine. That's your creation, though, not the game. Other DMs can choose to do things differently than you do.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've found that XP awards for this sort of roleplaying are the best way to get players to do these things. Give out small awards for little things like spending money at the inn and such. medium awards for things that make sense for that PC and have a significant effect on the game, like running from the dragon on sight instead of attacking it or waiting for the fear roll. And substantial awards for roleplaying their character, even to the detriment of themselves and the party. For example, if the barbarian has a backstory that he back talks against authority figures and has done so consistently throughout his career, it would make sense for him to back talk to the king during a delicate negotiation. I see a lot of players suddenly switch PC personalities when the roleplay could get them arrested or worse.

You have to have players that want to play that way, though. I have one group that I play with that really enjoys this sort of play. We also understand that no matter what happens in game, even PvP, we're all friends out of game and don't take anything personally. Other groups that I've played in couldn't handle that sort of game. Their fun would be ruined by someone else getting their character into trouble or worse by bad talking to the king. I'd talk to your players about this and get their take.

atanakar

Hero
That is part of Downtime activities. Each group have their own way of dealing with that. There are prices for these items/services in the PHB, so they are definitely part of the game.

I'm against rewards/punishments systems for «encourage» such behaviour. Players will just abuse it and start to wash every time they can in rivers and pools during adventurers, to gain easy HPs or remove lighter conditions.

It is true that after a week of Canadian Reserve service I would have given anything for a shower. But personal hygiene were not the same in other eras of human history.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm against rewards/punishments systems for «encourage» such behaviour. Players will just abuse it and start to wash every time they can in rivers and pools during adventurers, to gain easy HPs or remove lighter conditions.

It's not abuse if that's what the DM and group want. Different strokes for different folks. :)

R_J_K75

Legend
I ran a game where I tried to insert/encourage more realism and the response from one of my players was, "If I wanted to take a bath or go shopping, Id go home and take a bath or go shopping". Even though these scenarios can lead to good roleplaying, adventure hooks and possibly even adventures, they just wanted get to meat and potatoes of adventuring. I prefer more realism myself but I think you need to strike a balance with the players, perhaps on an individual level. If one player prefers, it indulge them without taking too much time, then move on. For the most part I'm assuming that when in town they are practicing a modicum of hygiene and etiquette and staying in relatively clean inns. I think in the end most people play RPGs for escapism, to do things they normally wouldn't or couldn't do and to leave the mundane things of the world behind for awhile.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even players that are very good role players from a funny voices and defined personality standpoint generally, in my experience, don't do tired, sick, afraid, horny, fed up, etc... well.

The real question to ask is, what about playing tired, sick, afraid, horny, fed up, etc... will be fun for them? The players are each at the table for their own reasons - does such play serve those reasons?

For example, if you are playing a game in the style of Fritz Lieber, where Fafhrd and Grey Mouser often came upon their adventures through their mundane actions, then they have a reason to play in this manner. If, however, it is just an add on that doesn't impact the adventuring... why would you expect them to bother?

Remove ads