On Running a Horror Game

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I'd agree with Umbran here. The player's don't have to go looking for danger, the danger will come looking for them whether they want it to or not. In fact, that makes it more frightening because despite the characters best intentions, where they thought they were safe, they were in fact not.

Horror is about survival first and foremost, and if that means killing/defeating the bad guy to do it (if possible) then so be it. Horror is one of the few genres left where PC's should be regular humans without any kind of extra powers. Maybe they might be some bad hombre ex-Spec Ops type, but against the horror that may barely be enough. To be frightening, mortality of the characters must be ever-present.

I think the GM and players need to be on the same page. If the former is expecting a X of Cthulhu game of investigation and risking horror to fight it, and the PCs run from their ability to do so, both sides will be dissatisfied.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
This type of game is quite enjoyable to players that can let go and let themselves be immersed in the horror.
I do not see how you could find many players who'd enjoy the game you describe. You must have quite the pool of compatible players.

I do not see how you could find many players who'd enjoy the game you describe. You must have quite the pool of compatible players.
You just need to throw a wide net and catch lots of different players.

If the players do want to be in a fun and immersive horror game, they are often willing to do "a lot".

prabe

Supporter
You just need to throw a wide net and catch lots of different players.

If the players do want to be in a fun and immersive horror game, they are often willing to do "a lot".
To find players who'd sign onto the game you proposed, I imagine you would need to cast a wide net indeed.

To find players who'd sign onto the game you proposed, I imagine you would need to cast a wide net indeed.
Well, to some players, they like horror at about the level of "The Scooby Do Spooky Special"

Some players want something a bit more like a typical mainstream horror movie.

And, some, want..........******** * ****** * * ************ ****** ******** ** *********.

But it also goes like:

DM: "Oh the skeleton is so scary, make your Scaredy Cat Check"
Player: "I got a seven for the check"
DM: "Your character is so scared, they get a -1 to rolls"
Player: "Oh no, my um character acts scared and stuff"

vs

The players screaming in horror in a mostly dark room after the GM describes a scene to them.

prabe

Supporter
Well, to some players, they like horror at about the level of "The Scooby Do Spooky Special"

Some players want something a bit more like a typical mainstream horror movie.

And, some, want..........******** * ****** * *********** ****** ******** ** *********.

But it also goes like:

DM: "Oh the skeleton is so scary, make your Scaredy Cat Check"
Player: "I got a seven for the check"
DM: "Your character is so scared, they get a -1 to rolls"
Player: "Oh no, my um character acts scared and stuff"

vs

The players screaming in horror in a mostly dark room after the GM describes a scene to them.
The only time I have seen players explicitly want something like Scooby Doo was when we were playing a game specifically intended to mimic that genre. There is an ocean of possibilities between your two extremes, and there are ways to have mechanics matter in actual ways, and there are ways to terrify players in a perfectly bright room--I've absolutely managed the latter--and it is, of course, absolutely possible to run a Horror TRPG in ways that are fair and safe for all concerned.

niklinna

satisfied?
The only time I have seen players explicitly want something like Scooby Doo was when we were playing a game specifically intended to mimic that genre. There is an ocean of possibilities between your two extremes, and there are ways to have mechanics matter in actual ways, and there are ways to terrify players in a perfectly bright room--I've absolutely managed the latter--and it is, of course, absolutely possible to run a Horror TRPG in ways that are fair and safe for all concerned.
I was once in a horror con game that was us literally playing the Scooby Doo gang, and it started out just like the cartoon, but then with every new scene the world got progressively more horrific due to some cosmic anomaly or something. Me & the fellow playing Shaggy had the amusing special ability called "eat anything", to reflect how they always had the munchies. Well, three scenes later, Fred murdered someone in cold blood with the authorities on our tails. While Fred & Daphne began freaking about about what to do with the corpse, Shaggy & I just locked eyes and exchanged a knowing, wicked grin....

Sometimes the horror comes from the players.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the GM and players need to be on the same page. If the former is expecting a X of Cthulhu game of investigation and risking horror to fight it, and the PCs run from their ability to do so, both sides will be dissatisfied.

Eh. I find myself to be a service-oriented GM. I don't care how the players respond, so long as they find it entertaining and engaging to do so. Investigating, and then cutting and running when they start learning what they are dealing with, should be an option.

Mind you, in the genre, horror is difficult to escape. It tends to try to keep you around, and to follow you. So, there's still a game to be had in the escape.

MGibster

Legend
Eh. I find myself to be a service-oriented GM. I don't care how the players respond, so long as they find it entertaining and engaging to do so. Investigating, and then cutting and running when they start learning what they are dealing with, should be an option.
I do agree, at least insofar as the players aren't actively trying to avoid the scenario. Regardless of genre, as a GM, I am often delighted when the players surprise me by dealing with a problem in a completely unexpected way. Sometimes I'm disappointed, but more often than not I enjoy it when they try something I didn't think of.

In some horror stories, like Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box, the protagonist tries to avoid the scenario by passing his curse on to someone else, but is thwarted by an evil spirit who takes that option away. I feel as though a GM can only do this so many times before a player starts to feel a bit frustrated. In Stephen King's The Shining, Jack Torrence actually contemplates leaving the Outlook Hotel because it's creepy as %$#@, he doesn't like it there, and he knows his family doesn't like it there either. But he's motivated by his fear of ending up in the welfare line and losing an opportunity to get his teaching job back, so he stays. I think it's best for players to create characters motivated to engage with the scenario.

Mind you, in the genre, horror is difficult to escape. It tends to try to keep you around, and to follow you. So, there's still a game to be had in the escape.

There is. And at some point the PC will realize they can't just run away from their problems.

Remove ads